Help with band.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by The_Punishment, Nov 29, 2013.

1. The_Punishment

The_Punishment

I've only been in one band which only concluded of 2 ppl and ended shortly :banghead:. When I join another what can i/we do to make it. What does it feel like to play in front of crowds, what make musicians sweat? I need answers. Its cool for me cause I'm only 15. :D
  2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Aw 15 - checkout Sammy Hagard's book "RED".

Cheers,
    Joe
  3. bwardmusic

bwardmusic

It will really depend on the maturity of the guys you play with. When I was 15 it was hard to get musicians to show up. And if they did, they were often unprepared or lacked musical talent. Another problem was rehearsal space....unless you have your own, you'll be at the mercy of the other guy's parents.

The best thing would be to luck into a musician who has a parent that can promote you and help keep you organized.

Or, if you are mature and talented enough, get into a band of guys that are older and have figured out how to make it.

Hard to answer not knowing you...but these are my thoughts since I started playing bands when I was your age.
  4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I had better luck having people show up when I was in my teens. The problem is that at that age, you are usually not skilled enough to do very much. This will probably be the first of many bands. When people get older and have the skills they have jobs and other responsibilities which interfere with being in a band.

Playing in front of people is not a big deal if you just try to have fun with it.

The only thing that makes me nervous is if someone in the band is not prepared or drinks to the point that they cannot perform to the level that is expected. Fortunately, this has only happened twice in my 35 years of playing and both times it was the lead singer. The first time he drank to the point of not being able to perform, he couldn't remember the lyrics to most songs. We had a meeting with him. He apologized and said it wouldn't happen again. At the next gig, he was better but not much. It was obvious that he had been drinking. We made the decision to replace him.

The fact is that if you ever get good enough to even play in a local club, you should consider yourself among the lucky few when compared to the number of people who ever pick up an instrument. There are more bands than ever and fewer clubs. The clubs that do exist are paying much less than they did 20 or 30 years ago. The odds of being signed to a major label has also dropped substantially. Not trying to shatter anyone's dreams but I recently read an article that put the odds of a band ever being good enough to play in a local club at 1 in 2,149. Pretty slim. The odds of "making it" and being signed are many times worse.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. deathsdj

deathsdj

Work on your skills. All the time. That way when an opportunity arises you will be ready.

Cheers!

MJW
  7. The_Punishment

The_Punishment

8. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

I played in bands with the same group of guys throughout highschool - we'd play at school socials, lunchtime things, all-age/underage battle of the bands, and that kind of thing. This was late-90s/early-2000s, so we were just playing heaps of Korn, Deftones, Limp Bizkit, etc. then eventually started writing our own nu-metal stuff (And shut up, all you guys laughing! I went on to study jazz and classical...)

If you get a good group of guys that you can be friends with, set up a rehearsal space at someone's house, and practice regularly, playing in a band can be the best fun - even if you're just playing covers. We'd practice on a Monday night after school for 4 or 5 hours, have some dinner together, muck around, rock out; it was fun. Sometimes we wouldn't even play music at band practice - we'd just listen to music and talk nonsense/girls.

Gigs will come eventually, you just have to make your own opportunities when you're younger. Playing live is heaps of fun, especially with a good crowd. I prefer not to feel like I'm 'up on stage', but would rather feel like I'm dancing around, having fun with the people in the crowd. Getting a good gig at highschool was always a great feeling - we won a couple of rounds of a big battle of the bands competition and nothing at the time could compare to the buzz you felt after a really fun gig like that.

I'm still playing regularly, mostly at pubs and clubs. It's still a good night out, but there's something about playing in a rock band at high school that makes it a very different experience to what I'm doing now.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

This. And Welcome to TalkBass!
  10. sm49341

sm49341

Agree. Work on your skills. Learn songs, not just cool riffs. Play along with albums, become the albums bassist. I see you also posted the crowd post. Do this because you love making music. It's what's in your soul and what drives you. It's your passion. Become good and people will notice. Opportunities will come. As for the band don't make the vocals an afterthought. Bad vocals will ruin the best of music. Good vocals will rescue mediocre music.
    If you get a group together chances are someone will have an uncle or relative in a gigging band. Then at some party they could let you play an opening set. Or even as an individual they mite let you sit in on a cpl tunes. But you need to be able to play. Work with your school. Be in the talent show. If you attend a church, see if u can get involved w the music. Perhaps not your fav music . But your are rehearsing and playing with others. These are building blocks. At your age every opportunity is a stepping stone.
  11. podiumboy

podiumboy

Until you get to college, there's not much you can do in the way of gigs. Parties and school talent shows are about your only options. Use this time to perfect your instrument. Play with other people, that's a great way to learn. Play talent shows and parties where 20 people are half listening to you, half tolerating you. I treasure those memories more than I do most of my more successful gigs later.

Your first few gigs you'll be self conscious. But eventually, you'll gain confidence and it'll be fun for you.
  12. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Don't worry about "making it". You're only 15.

What to do? Find some kids your age who want to jam. Just get together and play. And do that as much as you can. Don't overthink it. Just play. Have fun. There will be plenty of time to get analytical about it down the road.
  13. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Play every chance you get, with whoever you can. Anytime you can play with people better than yourself, do it - you'll learn something and it will push you to rise to their level. Don't be afraid to suck. There's a great Dave Grohl quote about that - just get in your garage with whoever wants to do it with you and play whatever you can, and if you suck, you suck. But keep at it and someday you'll start finding you don't suck so bad... in fact you might start to become awesome.

Playing in front of a crowd is a huge stress and a huge thrill and when you get through it and people scream for you, there's nothing like it. Better to relax and enjoy the ride than to stress out over making your performance perfect and wind up being stiff and uptight. A show is a SHOW. The crowd will feed off the energy you give them and you'll feed off the energy they radiate back at you.

Why do musicians sweat? A number of things. Sometimes it's the stress. Sometimes they are such physical performers, playing live is a workout. Watch the Talking Heads' "Stop Making Sense" video and you'll see what I mean. Apart from that, stage lights are hot beating down on you.

There's no surefire way to "make it," especially not these days, not that there ever was. The internet has killed the dominance of big record companies and the radio, and even the big pop acts don't have the kind of huge sales they used to. There will never be another Led Zeppelin or Beatles, in terms of that "rock star" thing. Recently I noticed a news headline mentioning how some recent pop albums - Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus - had gone gold. Gold! Used to be a gold album was the mark of a third-string band, big acts were expected to be multi-platinum. Not any more.

What that means, though, is that it is actually a lot easier for an act to find an audience for its music - it just won't be huge, old-fashioned rock-idol audiences. But if you market yourself intelligently, and make music worth listening to, and work diligently at it, you can get your music heard and maybe even pay your bills with it.
  14. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Forming a band is easy; keeping one together isn't.
  15. NeverIsNow

NeverIsNow

I'm 15 as well, and for me it's hard to find other serious musicians my age. I'd say find people who have similar music tastes who play an instrument that fits the genre. Then collect them as you find them.

As far as playing in front of crowds, that's something you just have to do it a few times before you start to feel more comfortable doing it.
  16. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Y w
  17. NeverIsNow

NeverIsNow

Amen! Jam with friends, Jam with everybody. As I'm 15 as well, I understand that being adolescent, there really isn't very many if any opportunities. So keep practicing, hone your skills, get better, so when there are opportunities, you've got a truckload of badass to unload and you're ready to go full force.
  18. The_Punishment

The_Punishment

The thing is everybody in my neighborhood is (not trying to be racist) is black and listens to rap:banghead::mad:
  19. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Tru dat. I think it's best to think of yourself, individually, as a musician. You can play with whatever other musicians come together in any context that comes up. Some people get hung up on "the band" and act like "the band" is supposed to be a huge thing that demands all this loyalty and commitment. That can become true, if a group of people have played together for a while and really locked into each other and been through a lot together. Then you owe the other guys some loyalty. But any random assemblage of people who happen to have wound up in the basement together on a given Saturday morning are not a "band" in that sense, they're just guys playing music together - which is great. So to young guys like the OP, I say again, play with whomever you can whenever you can, keep your options open, and never burn your bridges with anyone you don't have to.
  20. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Look, to be honest, I don't need no competition from 15 year olds. Why not be like other kids your age, and be content playing X-Box, or Playstation, or whatever new game they have out, or just play on your cell phone all day?

Or do Cosplay, or collect comic books, or something. What is it kids do today, again?

When I was your age, they used to make us get up at 5:00 am, and start cleaning the parking lots of Safeways, using a toothbrush, and an angry Badger. Nothing says, "I want my mommy," like an angry Badger.

Trust me, you kids have it made.
  21. The_Punishment

The_Punishment

:what: toothbrush? Safeways? ***? Btw I do play playstation and go on the computer but everytime I play the game my bass is always right there. You know for loading screens and stuff. When I go on the computer I usually mess around. Then at 5:00 the latest 6:00 pm I open up vlc player, add bout 5-15 songs depends on the mood I'm in maybe more, crank it up, put some KISS on and jam out. Music is my life. I also play football incase music don't workout. I can play 31 KISS songs:D. One dio song, one nirvana song, one black sabbath song, and one gwar song.