Help with Bass Distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chaosMK, Mar 17, 2014.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Any ideas how to get this type of tone :)11 on) with a pedal?

http://caynug.bandcamp.com/track/dysprosium

I think I read somewhere that this dude tweaked tons of distortion (3 kinds) in his software/modeling stuff. Just wondering how to get into this ball park.

I been looking up all kinds of pedals on youtube and it seems like they are mainly good for farty sounds that will disappear in the mix. I need a chainsaw sound.

I've been checking out a lot of bands in genres where they use more bass OD/distortion than I've typically heard. Sounds great solo when they are doing sound checks. Then in the mix, you still don't hear 'em.

Any ideas on how to get that type of OD which cuts through? I need some SAW in the mids. Is B7K sort of on the right track?

Another great example of the grind I am seeking (Meshuggah Chaosphere). The bass is actually fairly blended in but it's fundamental to the mix. Famous "rolling tank" sound.

If you use these types of sounds, please post example if you've got.
  2. mrmills

mrmills

Sounds to me like playing hard with a pick, a bit of selective distortion in the mids/upper mids with quite a bright top end.

Could be totally wrong though. I do remember from personal experience that slacker strings tend to give more of what I hear as the 'churning' sound in the Meshuggah track.
  3. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Darkglass B3K, B7K.
  4. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

That sounds to me like the Darkglass "B7K/B3K sound".
  7. slapstick13

slapstick13 Supporting Member

Definitely darkglass b3k / b7k would saw your way there. Honestly, depending on your bass , you could maybe get away with the dark glass vintage microtubes(my personal all time fav dirt pedal). I get beautiful chunky overdrive with the vmt using passive pickups. With my active bass, the vmt can get pretty damn dirty and saw like, while still havin the option to get a less saw-ish distortion which the the b3k is not as good at, but both would do you well. Seriously I wasted so much effort and money trying everything so save yourself and get a dark glass pedal. If its too pricey, think of it as a time saving investment and will cure your gas.
  8. chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Thanks for the thoughts. I really want a B7K. My local music store has one on order for me ($315... cheaper than online!). I haven't gotten one yet because they cost as much a as small bicycle. It's time for me to get with the times though. I been using a Sansamp since '05 or so (I'm getting old!). B7K will probably sound good through my Bass 400. :bassist:
  9. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

Although I mainly play through my GK800RB, I also own a Mesa Bass 400(the old one). My B3K kills through both rigs.

I will also add that I was looking for this certain "grindy crunch" for a very long time - it can be heard all over Billy Gould's playing in early FNM. Nothing comes close, and now I hear even Billy uses it.

Oh yeah, this other guy named Dick uses their pedals too. Don't waste your time on something else;)
  10. SteveV74

SteveV74

Check out Type O Negative, Peter Steele uses a Boss DS1 , wich sounds like garbage by itself, but he uses a ton of other fx with it.
  11. Caynug

Caynug

Hey it's me Caynug the guy the OP is talking about :)

That would actually kill this type of sound, I slapped all distortion parts, it's all slap bass and that gives it that disgusting effect ontop of the distortion.

What I did is this:

2 recorded slap bass tracks one right one left (100% pan) the distortion comes from my POD HD with my heavily modified patch. My bass is set to 50% highs and 100% bass (maybe less, I forgot) and the pickup is set to bridge 100%.

There is a normal bass plugin running with distortion aswell, but approached more like an normal grindy bass with distortion in the middle of it all (just like you would do with a normal guitar recorded song) and ontop of that I copied the left and right bass channels and added a mono high mid distortion over them to give it that final presence and overall thickness (this is not really needed but it gives positive gnarly effects in the mix)

If there is any other questions, I am here to answer them :)
  12. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

Your bass reminds me of Korn if they used more overdrive and more mids. Also, many awesome sounds in metal have been achieved with a pick as well.

Meshuggah's "Koloss" is a great example.
  13. chaosMK

Disclosures:
    The legend himself! Thanks for the tips.
  14. GretschBassist

GretschBassist Supporting Member

I think the high-mid drive you guys hear comes from the guitar. The bass has a very low drive so the Darkglass stuff wouldn't nearly recreate this sound.

To do this kind of stuff I'd be checking out these three pedals:

EBS Fuzzmo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXLyoDI8ugI
    Markbass Tube Marker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7tTXLUDQLY
    OKKO Basstard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8u_OcH4MUQ

Also this sound seems heavily EQ'ed so you might want to look into the Empress ParaEQ to put it right after the driver.
  15. runmikeyrun

runmikeyrun

Forget wasting your money on the Darkglass stuff. You can get the exact Meshuggah tone with the MXR M-80 bass distortion for half the price new, even less used. I'm telling you that thing is Meshuggah in a box. Plus a clean blend to keep your beef.

I can't say enough that the MXR does Meshuggah to a T. I'm a big fan of them and have several of their albums, so I know the tone well. I owned the pedal for a year so I know it well too. Look up some youtube videos and you'll see what I'm talking about. Doubles as a DI as well.

EDIT: I forgot that I recorded this track for a split 7" a few years ago and the M-80 was used. Skip to 1:13 for a bass/drums breakdown and you can clearly hear the bass tone. Heck, you can hear the bass tone the whole time because that pedal really cuts IF you don't suck all the mids out of it. There were three tracks mixed to get the final tone (DI clean, M-80, and Amplitube) but the bulk of the sound is the M-80. The clean DI is rolled off around 600hz to keep the lows, and the amplitube just added a little bit of extra grind. P.S. I'm also doing vox duty :ninja:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  16. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

I don't hear the Koloss tone too much there.

How about this?:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH-s3NwMhnI

Or this guy named Dick?:
    http://followgram.me/i/643076274869420305_296776199

Dick Lovgren actually uses a B7K now:

http://www.meshuggah.net/text1_14.html
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  17. runmikeyrun

runmikeyrun

Fine, spend $300 if it helps you sleep at night! ;) What do I know anyways, I buy the "cheap" stuff...
  18. chaosMK

Disclosures:
    I caught these guys (Russian Circles) recently- this dude had some great tight/crunchy distortion. It came across great live and in the mix. I didnt know he was the bassist from Botch. I think they were pretty innovative for their time. He's clangin' around with a pick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESThjVc2dLg&list=RDxTKfIZ7-jcI#t=143 (2:30)

Always been a tone inspiration for me too.
  19. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

Ha, thanks for the timelink. This album is great. I know it well:)

And yeah, that was one of the cool "distorted chordal" parts on the bass on there. I always said yeah the guitar is usually the centerpiece until the bass gets up and does something. When it's done right, it's usually immense and dwarfs the guitar.

That's awesome. My username hints at that as well:D
  20. TitaniumRx

TitaniumRx

I always have the suspicion that the MXR M80 sounds like the Darkglass VMT.I love all the Darkglass sounds but i don't have the money for them.I am gonna make my order for the MXR right now.Have you play with the M89 overdrive,is it better close to the Darkglass family?Thank you my friend,you save me :hyper:
  21. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

I think they sound nothing alike. The distortion sounds closer to a Boss Bass Overdrive on the MXR-M80 compared to the VMT or B3K