1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help with bridges: Hipshot VS Schaller VS Leo Quan

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mr.bigglesworth, Jul 31, 2007.

1. mr.bigglesworth

mr.bigglesworth

Hi all.
    I'm in a middle of building a bass guitar, and I'm stuck. :help:
    I need to choose a bridge and I cant Decide.
    Always wanted a Type A bridge from Hipshot, but I buy my parts from All Parts and they ain't selling it.
    I narrowed it down to 3-4 bridges that look good to me.
    Hipshot Type B
    Schaller Rollers
    and Leo Quan BadAss II or I

My Favorite For now is the Type B. But i see it only on 5/6 Strings mainly. Any reason?
    If you got other options (from All-Parts) please say it.

BTW
    I only can buy from All-Parts... Don't ask :bag:

Thanks for the help. TB Rules :D

2. wilser

wilser

ABM bridges (allparts # BB3430) looks a lot like hipshot A. Schaller is also a fine bridge. Have no experience with Leo Quan.

3. cnltb

cnltb

HI!
    If allparts are not selling the bridge you are after, just buy it elsewhere.
    Very simple really.
    I'd perhaps go direct if at all possible since when ever I have done that, the service has always been a lot better than when I went through a "middle mad".
    That of course is not always an option.:hyper:

4. mr.bigglesworth

mr.bigglesworth

Thanks for the answers.
    I couldn't find the ABM bridge in the site.
    Do You have any opinions on the Type B bridge?
    And as i said before i cant buy elsewhere.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wilser

wilser

Go to the allparts.com site and search for 3430.

I don't like the B bridges as they don't allow spacing adjustments.

7. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

What reason could you possibly give for not being able to buy elsewhere? I mean really... sound like a foolish thing to restrict yourself from getting the parts you want just because ONE website doesn't sell it.

Lemme guess... you've got a friend who works there and will give you a huge discount, right? :rollno:

8. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

I'd personally insist on the Hipshot A... But if I had to pick a second choice it would be the ABM.

9. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Unless you are a dealer, ordering from allparts can be quite spendy...

The Leo Quan Badass bridges were (at least initially) "high mass" replacements for the stock Fender bridges. They seemed better designed, but you had to cut your own slots in the bridge saddles, although I believe this was called a "feature" (customizable string spacing!) at the time.

I can't speak for the Schaller roller bridge... I've never been fond of roller bridsges, but I've never had a bad Schaller product. Their tuners, for example, are very well engineered, so I imagine their bridges are also.

The Hipshot A bridge is a good one... I've used it a few times, and I like it... lately I've been all about the individual string bridges, though. Now, *those* I really like.

10. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

I've never used a roller bridge, but I'm curious why you aren't a fan? And why ARE you a fan of the individual saddles? Just curious. Inquiring dummyheads (like ME) wanna know. :)

11. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Leo Quan is the BEST! Hands down. All others are inferior and won't add as much sustain and improve your tone as well as a BAII!!!!

:bag:

The can of worms has been opened.

But seriously, I've had great results with the BAII and would recommend to anyone. It's easy to make adjustments and whether or not it actually DID improve my tone, I at least felt like my bass sounded and played better.

12. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

Now please...

13. Dpduder

Dpduder

i like the hipshot A and the leoquan 2 as i have a bass outfitted with each.

the BAII has a few minor drawbacks, which include wieght, unfiled saddles, and sometimes the sheer size of it has raised string hight too high on cheaper basses that ive seen. is it a good bridge? ITS FREAKING AWESOME! sustian adjustability and looks are all included.

though, i still enjoy string trough lightweight sickness included in the hipshot A

14. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro

Disclosures:
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Jeez, the OP said very nicely he could only order from AP, *don't ask*.

Hipshot A not available at AP, so scratch that.

Hipshot B is, if you don't need adjustable string spacing (why would you?) then that would be my choice.

I used to like the Schaller roller. It is not a quick-loading bridge so now I feel like it is a pain in the ass. The saddles are also little wheels and they tend to spin (screwing up your spacing) when you don't want them to while restringing.

I have used Leo Quan twice, and I hated them both. They will improve tone and sustain if you want them to (it's a subjective experience) but I have never had a complaint about either with the Hipshot A (aluminum) or B. I just always thought it was so lame to have to slot a bridge and again, not quick load.

15. mr.bigglesworth

mr.bigglesworth

Thank you all for your answers (And lots of answers to).
    Well i will tell you why i buy only from AP. because its my only choice. In my country the verity of bass parts is near nothing.
    The only store that brings something decent works with AP. Thats why I can only buy from there.
    And now for the question.
    I think i will go with the Type B bridge.
    The ABM is 5 string only, and I need 4.
    I heard about the high strings in the BadAss and I'm a low action man, so that will be a pain.
    The rollers sounded weird to me and now i see that they do some problems when loading strings.
    The Type B didn't had major drawbacks, just didn't had string spacing option, And i don't really need it.
    Thank you all! Really helped me! :bassist:

16. BassikLee

BassikLee

Disclosures:
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Mr. B,

I know of no country anywhere in the world where small packages can't be shipped to. You might find that buying a Hipshot A, and having it shipped via USPS or whatever would be cheaper that your store connection, on a "second choice" bridge. If you really want a Hipshot, then get a Hipshot. Hell, I'll be the middleman for you, if you need me to.

Lee

17. mr.bigglesworth

mr.bigglesworth

Thanks a lot for the great offer. :smug:
    I know I can buy it and ship it but it just ain't worth it. The taxes here are killing you if your not a store. I will pay twice for the bridge then i can buy in a store.
    And its my first build so I don't want to go to far with it.
    Plus I see that I found a good replacement so its not that bad.

Again great thanks for the help.

18. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

""I used to like the Schaller roller. It is not a quick-loading bridge so now I feel like it is a pain in the ass. The saddles are also little wheels and they tend to spin (screwing up your spacing) when you don't want them to while restringing.""

What I did was put some clear fingernail polish on the sides of each roller, and they stay put.
    The Schaller is a very solid bridge; I like mine.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges...es/Schaller_4-String_Roller_Bass_Bridges.html

Mike

19. T. Brookins

T. Brookins Supporting Member

Hipshot B is the best IMO. Ask Michael Tobias.

Available in brass AND aluminum.

No saddle parts to lose.

Precision crafted.

Simple and pretty.

Clean lines.

Bauhaus.

20. silentmike

silentmike

Why not ask All Parts if they can order the Hipshot A in for you? It doesn't hurt to ask.

21. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O