Help with choosing bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nameless bass, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Nameless bass

Nameless bass

Hi!

I am planning to buy a new bass to use as a school bass. (since i don want to drag my expensive main bass around) I am thinking about getting a epiphone EB3 (or maybe a ripper/grabber) or a squire Jazz or a Jag... or maybe a sterling. I play mostly Progresive rock, Doom, Blues rock. My playstyle is pretty aggresive fingerstyle on my standrad tunig basses i use rotosound 40s...

So the question is. I have seen pics of the late Trevor Bolder using SG Basses in bowie. And say what you want about his sideburns but he had a real awsome tone real fat and bouncy. so.. Is it possible to get a some sweet trevor bloderesque tones out of a epiphone EB3 bass? i havent had the opertunity to test one out myself since none of my local stores have one.

And i have also heard that a Ripper/grabber can be pretty close to a Rick does this apply to the epiphone versions too?? (i know that nothing can comapre to the real thing)

So any Recommedations?
  2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I was doing some side-by-side trials at a local Guitar Center and was surprised at the strong volume and tone of the Squier Vintage Modified Jaguars. Specifically, I'm talking about the long-scale, P/J version with the active electronics and unpainted headstock. All that for $200 or less if you can find a used one.

One other side-benefit, it's surprisingly light. That might help if you're carting it all over school or to-and-from home.

Last year I traded in an older Squier Jazz for one of these to hand off to the daughter of a co-worker. No complaints since she first started playing bass. ;)
  3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

I had one of the p/j Squier jags. If you replace the pickups, I think it's a great buy. The current pickups on it are kind of lacking in character and definition, I think I prefer the passive jag to be honest with you- better sound overall. I just traded it a couple of weeks ago along with another bass for a MIM Fender P Bass. I'll probably buy the passive jag in the future though.
  4. TheKingOfPants

TheKingOfPants

Those Jag Specials pop up on Guitar Center's used site a couple times a week for right around $100, with free shipping to your nearest store. That might be a good way to try one out if you can't find one local to you.

There's a black one up there for $100 in Plano, TX as I'm typing this.