Help with compression.. Compulator vs Aguilar TLC

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Stooges_Fan, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Stooges_Fan

Stooges_Fan

Hello, let me start off saying, I love onvilab reviews, but i'm not very experienced with comps, I had the EBS and loved everything about it, besides the slow attack, I had to get rid of it, because it let inital spikes through. I like to use lots of compression, and always had the EBS compression knob all the way, as well as threshold all the way. I got the compulator thinking the fast attack would fix everything. It did fix the inital spikes when using heavy comp, but I fell the compression itself is not very strong... for example, I'm a wild performer, and when i spike my attack, the compulator doesn't knock it down very agressive, like the ebs did... maybe thats because the compulator is soft knee ? I think ebs might be a harder knee ? i guess because the compulator is optical compression, it just isn't effective enough... it seems to have less compression than the EBS did, even though it's supposed to have more... So I was looking at the Aguilar TLC, and I'm thinking that might be perfect for me, has attack knob, and lots of compression available (It has quite a bit right ??) But need to know if it haS a good agressive stlye of compression like the EBS.. (maybe tlc has hard knee I hope?) and it doesn't have the optical sound of the compulator I hope ? I would prob. turn the comp up all the way on the TLC, along with threshold, keep that in mind. also how would the Mark Bass Compressor compare in here ? This is really important, since I can't try all compressors out (they are expensive) Thanks in advance for all knowledge and expertise you may wield upon me.
  2. whitedk57

whitedk57

I have the BBE Opto-Stomp, and it works well. I have no clue on the other ones mentioned, but I thought I would add my two cents on the Opto-Stomp...
  3. Stooges_Fan

Stooges_Fan

The BBE looks like an optical unit, which I don't think is going to do the type of compression i'm after...
  4. Stooges_Fan

Stooges_Fan

I was also just looking at the Markbass Compressore, it may be exactly what im looking for... ? With the ratio very high, threshold ultra low, attack and release ultra low.... It should do some serious compressin there right ?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. blastjv

blastjv Supporting Member

Just to follow up on the above mention of the BBE - I love my BBE Opto Stomp for all the reasons you didn't like the ones you mentioned. I don't think it's the one for you. It is very mild, does not mess with my attack (which I WANT to come through before it gently rolls off the level on the big notes) and really does NOT do "lots of compression".

-JV
  7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Either the Aguilar or the Markbass would be great choices for you. Between the two of them, it's pretty much a question of subtle flavor preferences.
  8. Stooges_Fan

Stooges_Fan

Thanks bongo, I ordered up a Compressore !
  9. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

I'm not a big fan of Mark Bass Compressor, did you try the new MXR M87?
    Is amazing, from when I bought, I don't bring my TLAudio compressor live anymore!
    Cheers Enrico
    YouTube
    WebSite
  10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The new MXR is not available for sale yet, so where did you get yours?
  11. slaphappychappy

slaphappychappy

people are very precious with their likes and dislikes over compressors.
    I have tried alot, and Im happy with my ashdown compression pedal. I dont lose bottom end, it cleans up any buzz and makes me sound smoother than barry white.
  12. bassbmx

bassbmx

FEA Dual Band gets my vote. I love mine!

I'm sure you'll be happy with the Compressore though. I've only heard good things about them and the clips I've heard sounded great.