1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help with Counterpoint

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by Dogbertday, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Dogbertday

Dogbertday

I'm currently studying counterpoint (not with an instructor, though I do have knowledgable people around me (though not at the moment obviously) that can check my work and give me pointers if i ask)

My question has to do with the counterpoint line being in the same mode as the cantus firmus. this does not seem to be a problem when the counterpoint line begins on the unison with the cantus firmus but only when it starts on the fifth.

My question: as long as I am no using accidentals and it ends on the first degree of the mode, how can the counterpoint line be in a different mode than the cantus firmus?

I will continue to look for an online resource that thoroughly explains this and will post here if I find an answer.

I've read this section in Fux's text but am still confused. any insight is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!
  2. Dogbertday

Dogbertday

3. SteveFreides

SteveFreides

Yes, it would imply a different mode or key - you don't want to do that. Always the tonic in the bass if you are supplying the lower line.

NB: Species counterpoint is often studied in the modal context of the Renaissance but it needn't be. One of the main reasons to study it is that it's an important foundational element of music composed in the Baroque through Romantic eras.

-S-