1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help with D standard tuning...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by russpurdy, Jan 5, 2014.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

Ok, so I like the extra low notes of D standard and find it easier to sing in that register as well. I also actually like a bit of slack in the strings when using a standard 45-100 set of boomers on my P Bass.

Here is the question...

Assuming I stick with the P bass, what can I do to get more clarity and snap when using this tuning? I find that when I lay on the fuzz and even clean my faster runs get muddy when tuned to D. Is it as simple as a heavier set of strings or should I be experimenting with different brands or maybe stainless steel? Different pickups maybe or would that not help get a bit more clarity and snap? We play groovy sludgy rock/metal but as a three piece I want to play a bit more "lead bass" and need some clarity and snap like a guitar would have.
  2. Dave Siff

Dave Siff Supporting Member

Get this set of strings. They're made specifically for DGCF. I used them for years and they're great.
  3. russpurdy

I'll check that out for sure. I'll do a search but can you give me any info on the tone of stainless strings?
  4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Several manufacturers are making stings for D tuning. Sometimes, adjusting your EQ to add some highs can help. Also, keep in mind that normal hearing ranges from 20 to 20,000 Hz. A low D will be around 36 Hz which is pretty low. Not everyone can hear everything clearly across the frequency spectrum. There are some frequencies which we hear better than others and we all hear things a little differently.
  5. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

Much brighter. Also much tenser. If you like a looser tension I would recommend .45-.105 for D tuning steels. I used La Bella steels in that gauge for D for a while and they felt great. I only switched because I changed to my sixer and the strings felt perfect in B standard.
  6. russpurdy

Thanks guys. One bonehead thing I just realized I did was to tune to my guitar player last night. He was accidentally in c# so a half step too low. That could have been why last nights jam seemed particularly muddy (didn't have my tuner with me as it was an impromptu jam) but I'm still going to try those stainless steel strings out and hopefully they will do it for me.
  7. Dave Siff

Dave Siff Supporting Member

Generally speaking, stainless steels are brighter than nickels. But I didn't find this set of La Bellas to be overly harsh. They were also easier on the fingers than other stainless steel strings I've tried.
  8. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

I have a similar situation. The band I just joined tunes to D, and plays all songs as if they were tuned to E due to the singer's range. And yes, they play Dropped D stuff in Dropped C. To top things off I play a 5-String. I can get around most of the dropped D. er, C stuff by using the B, er, I mean A string. But these are some FLOPPY Strings! Do they make a set of 5-Strings for A-Tuning? I'll search. Currently I'm running a .125 for the Big Fatty, maybe a .135 would be better. I'll try that for now. I have a set I took off of something that are just sitting there.
  9. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Hmmm. It seems that DR makes DDT strings for D/4 & A/5 string tunings! Might want to check them out!
  10. Jensby design

Jensby design

:eyebrow: I used a .182 when I tune to the extra low note of D :rolleyes: lightweight :rolleyes: