1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help with faulty pedal board please!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wafu_vasco, Dec 29, 2013.

1. wafu_vasco

wafu_vasco

Hello All,
    Hope you had a great Christmas and are looking forwards to New Year!

I've recently had a problem develop with my Korg Toneworks AX3000B multi effects unit. It's about 4 or 5 years old now so well out of warrantee. Basically, the tone seems to fade in and out of treble, so whilst playing it will suddenly lose that top end definition and then after 10 seconds or so fade back up to normal settings. There is no change on the display whilst this happens. I've tried different basses and playing direct to amp; it is definitely the multi effects unit.

Also, for the past year or two, it had a habit of changing channel without me telling it to. It would select one of the default settings which would then show itself on the display, but would go back to normal the moment I hit the channel select I wanted, so I've lived with it as a minor annoyance.

I'm not sure if the two problems are completely independent and it's certainly beyond me; has anybody got any ideas as to what might be wrong with it? Is it something which can be fixed, or shall I cut my losses and just get some new pedals?

Thanks very much!

2. Crater

Crater

Unfortunately, multi-effects units are much more complex to troubleshoot and repair, especially for a DIY-er. As for the treble fading in and out, you might try "exercising" the treble control by dialing the control back and forth through it's full range and listening if there's any scratchy noises or cut-outs. If so, then most likely the treble pot is worn out and it needs to be replaced.

The random channel switching is more problematic. It could be a bad switch or loose connection, troubleshooting these kinds of intermittent electronic problems can be difficult, and you'd need detailed schematics and other technical info that Korg probably doesn't give out to the general public.

Your best bet is to either buy new pedals or send your unit to a Korg service center.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Just fyi, what you have is a multi-fx unit. A board is a thing pedals are placed upon. And yeah, you need a service center for that unit. There's no user serviceable parts in there, at all. Good luck to you.

4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Most multi-fx units have memory, and eternal batteries inside of them, and the batteries need to be replaced about every 5 years - so if yours has eternal batteries inside of it (check your manual) - change/replace them.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wafu_vasco

wafu_vasco

Thanks very much guys; I've had a trawl through the manual and online but unfortunately there is no mention of any battery. No job with changing dials either. But I have changed the terminology in my original post!
    I've contacted Korg.com so I guess we'll wait to see what they have to say. I'm tempted to just get rid of it and invest in a really good reverb pedal; that's it's main use these days anyway now the novelty of the quirkier effects has worn off!