Help with Fender Jazz, have two sets

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Levin, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Levin

Levin

Hi! Just bought GHS Precision Flats Flatwound and GHS Boomers 52's 4-String, both of which are 35-55-75-95, which I guess will be quite low tension compared to if the strings were thicker, the dilemma now is if I shall test the boomers or the flats on my Fender Jazz american standard, any suggestions? : ] I have read about both of the strings but would like to hear people who have played them out.
  2. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Depends on what you do. I found myself sort of in the EXACT situation with my Fender Active P-Special... I use the same gauges of GHS Boomers & Flats in 35-55-75-95 as well. Doesn't matter the order what you test them out since each excel at what they do. For what it's worth, I used the GHS flats first, then the rounds second. I did this only because finger-style on GHS flats is the "cream of the crop" for me, however, I also love to pop, slap, and chord. On that note, nothing (to me) does those 3 better than rounds. Tried DR strings recently, too... not my style and quickly went back on my Boomers!

By the way, GHS flats slapped (and popped) sound VERY different, but in a (I think) cool "funky" groove kind of way. Subdued and a "fat lady's butt up in against your face" thump that slapping on rounds doesn't have. Might not sound good to everyone else, but it was nice for awhile.

EDIT: Can't remember a Jazz top pup w/Boomers sound like, but with a single coil at the traditional bridge position, I would personally stick with the rounds. Flats to me have never been a "cut through the mix" string, and single coils slice perfectly with rounds on 'em. Lovely sounds when I solo the bridge pup. If you had a P-bass though... my entire response would probably be flipped in favor of the flats. P's and flats just go so well together. But I've never had much luck on jazz basses with flats though.
  3. Levin

Levin

Ah, thanks so much for your advice! : D This was the general impression I got from the forum too, it will have to be the bass boomers on the jazz, I'll just wait til' I buy me a P-bass one day for the flats ; ] Much obliged!
  4. soulman969

soulman969

Well I'll just chime in and confirm your decision. To me flats on a Jazz Bass just rob it of too much of it's tonal variation, mid range punchiness and growl. The Boomers or Pressure Wounds should sound much better on a Jazz.

And yep, save those PFlats for another day. It's what I did with the set I took from my Jazz Bass when I bought it used. Just picked up a PBass, on went the PFlats, and bam! Perfect match just like I find the PWounds are on my Jazz.
  5. Levin

Levin

I was afraid it might do just that, yeah : / I'll just save those flats! I think I will test nickel Lo-riders on the jazz bass when the boomers wear off, they seem to be great strings! Will test a set on another bass in the up-coming week, yay~
  6. soulman969

soulman969

And that's another great choice for a Jazz Bass and a lot of others too.
  7. Levin

Levin

Yeah! Have hade the nickel lo-riders I mentioned that I would put on later for some time now, and now I want something... I don't know, similiar. I was thinking of either testing Hi-beams or Fat Beams DR on a Fender Jazz bass, I've only tried fat beams so far on other basses and loved em! I think that the tone of the nickel lo-riders is nice and warm but a little.. dull? And honky, I don't think I've the good taste to appreciate nickel just yet...
  8. gary m

gary m

The P Flats on a Jazz remind me of Joe Osborn's tone (think of almost any 5th Dimension hit that he played on).