Help with first decent bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Thijsklaps, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Thijsklaps

Thijsklaps

Hey guys, I have been playing bass for a year now and have been playing on a Fender Rumble 15 practice amp. I am thinking about starting a band but I need some new gear to do so, I will mostly use it to practice with my band but I have to be able to play small shows with it too, I will be playing hardcore/metal so i need enough volume and it has to sound heavy, and thats about all I know since I'm a complete noob. So my question is, can someone recommend a decent setup? My budget is very low and I'd say max $1000. Thanks in advance!
  2. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

1k can buy you a heck of a rig. Especially used.

Find you a good 410 and a 300-500 watt head and there you go. Done. If that's not enough..... consider a second 410 or an 810.

It really all depends on the SOUND you're going for, as almost any rig you piece together for $1k can meet your volume needs.
  3. Thijsklaps

Thijsklaps

Thanks allot man! I will look into that, are there some brands that you can recommend?
  4. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Here is a great setup for the money

Used hartke lh500 head (500 watts with a tube preamp 2 8ohm outputs) 200-250$
    ampeg svt 15e used for about 250$ get another if you need more volume
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses | Hanson Guitars | Augustas Guitars | Paul & Mills Amplification
    Used Carvin.... $1,000 of used Carvin gear is going to be all of the overhead you could ever want... As with any used gear, do the research and make sure the head marries up to the cabinet in terms of resistance and wattage.
  7. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses | Hanson Guitars | Augustas Guitars | Paul & Mills Amplification
    Are you just needing an amp? or are you looking into a new instrument as well?
  8. Thijsklaps

Thijsklaps

I'm only needing an amp! and thanks for the replies, I'm looking into all of it.
  9. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

10. figginalarmguy

figginalarmguy

in my view hartke best bang for the buck, simple 4by 10 with 350 or 550 head.
    1000 will find you some used cords, pedals.or if this is an investment on what you plan to do long term find a "smaller" local music shop and ask them about trade back in value.
    layaway plans. If you can stay away from credit cards save the money in interest toward strings
    good luck and enjoy the ride
  11. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

First grab one of the Genz Benz 6.2 heads, 375 watts at 8 ohms (single cab) and 600 watts at 4 ohms (two cabs). 399.00 bucks brand new.

NOW you have some good money to work with for cab(s). I would myself go for a pair of 12" cabs (8 ohms each) or a killer 212 cab at 4 ohms. You will likely never need more power and it will be easy to move.

If you want links just say so.
  12. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Another option is the Genz Benz Contour 115 combo with a Genz Benz Focus 115 cab. You should be able to score these both new for around 700 bucks. Small gigs just bring the combo, which is 300 watts by itself. Big gigs drop it on the Focus 115 for a 500w, 2x15 rig.
  13. Thijsklaps

Thijsklaps

From what I know, the head is what defines the sound for the most part, so what kind do I need if i'm going to be playing some heavier music? I have also been looking into the ampeg cabs and they seem to be the thing that most people use, so that's a good thing
  14. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

15. DogBone

DogBone

Joining an existing band may be one thing, but if you're serious about starting a band yourself don't forget to save money out of your budget for a few other things like a PA system.
  16. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Amazing deal right there, I would hop all over that.
    As far as the head defining the sound, the cab actually makes a HUGE difference. If you want lots of midrange punch, go for a sealed cab like most of the ampeg cabs (excluding the HLFs, those are designed for some serious low end). But honestly those 2 Genz Benz items are on liquidation and an amazing value, and would be perfect for your needs.
  17. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

CRAZY deal. He could buy a microhead like a GK MB200 or Carvin BX250 and still be under 1000 bucks for TWO COMPLETE RIGS.
  18. Linnin

Linnin

+1 Agree with Genz Benz Contour combo as a great sounding deal. Plenty all by itself for serious band rehersal and most bar gigs. You could pick up an extension cab later if needed.
  19. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

You are not helping me talk myself out of buying one of these:spit::D
  20. tom once dead

tom once dead

Depending on what kind of gigs you're going to be playing, I would definitely recommend picking up a head and at least a 410 cab. Nothing particularly wrong with a combo setup, but taking into consideration the way hardcore/metal gigs can be, combos are a bit unpractical. Being able to use just your head or combine your rig with another bands becomes invaluable. Especially when you're playing a rented hall with no PA support and loud drums and guitars.
  21. KipperWakz

KipperWakz

Do you like what your getting out of your Rumble? (Apart from the size)