help with guitar wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by KingCrimson, Nov 11, 2012.

1. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

hey guys I got a big problem. I have this guitar to wire but for some stupid reason it ain't working. I think its a grounding problem.

Usually I'm used to simple wiring and most of the time i'm succesful but this is a different beast.

Two humbuckers, both have mini switches to split the coils.

I have established that separately both pickups work with the mini switches wired to a volume and a input. So the hot lead wire has signal.

My problem is when both pickups are wired and i have two volume, two tone and a selector switch.

So what I have is this

bridge pickup----selector switch----volume to tone connected by the capacitor, tone pot is also connected to itself (from the third connector to the back of the pot). The volume is also connected straight to the pickup selector.

neck pickup------selector switch----volume to tone connected by the capacitor, tone pot is also connected to itself (from the third connector to the back of the pot). The volume is also connected straight to the pickup selector.

From the pickup selector a wire goes to the input.

So far there is the ground from bridge going to the back of the bridge volume. The bridge volume is then connected to the back of the neck volume and then that is connected to the pickup selector.

The sleeve of the input is wired to the back of the bridge tone pot.

What am I doing wrong here?

When I put it in the guitar I get a nasty hum and everything gets a signal, (tap the volumes tap the pickups it makes a sound on the amp). Or I touch the selector switch and it gets no sound at all.

I'm trying to learn how to wire properly so doing stuff like this and finding solutions helps to my education. Thanks!

Also please note I don't have a good camera, so If I upload pictures they come out unclear. Here are some anyways.

Attached Files:

2. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Wire it like this:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h2v2t3w2sp

And don't connect the 3rd leg on the tone pots to ground.

EDIT: You should also connect the back of each pot with a ground wire. They need to be grounded, or you'll get buzz problems.

EDIT AGAIN: If the splitting switches work like you want them to, just wire the pots like that diagram minus the extra stuff on the volumes for push/pull controls.
  3. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

Followed the schematics. Now it won't get any sound at all! When I plug in the input there is no hum, no signal at all.

Is it a ground wire thats cancelling it out?

So far my grounds are

Ground to the back of neck and bridge volume, then to the pickup selector.

From the back of each volume a wire is connected to the back of its tone pot.

Input is connected to the back of the neck tone pot.
  4. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Did you un ground the tone pot tabs? Because they're not supposed to be grounded (except the middle lug, through the capacitor itself). And have a ground wire between every pot back.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

Maybe best to unsoilder every thing and start again

I dont know what kind of Pickup selector this is, so ill ignore that side of it for now

From the Switch to the Volume (each one with its own Volume) to one of the END TABS (dont care which) also from this SAME TAB we do a BIT OF WIRE or a CAPACITOR, going to the TONE CONTROL one of the END TABS AGAIN (guess it dosnt matter really but keep it simple) Then from the MIDDLE Tab

Switch --- Volume (End Tab) --- EARTH +++ (Pot Case)
    __________Volume (Middle Tab) --- Jack +++
    __________Volume (Other Tab) --- Cap --- Tone Control (End Tab) ---
    ______________________________________Tone Conrol (Middle Tab) --- EARTH +++ (Pot Case)
    ______________________________________Tone Conrol (Other Tab) --- Hanging +++

ALL POT CASE, and Earth Side of Pickup all hooked up and going to EARTH JACK SIDE
    Also the Jack Case and the Brdige (all meltal basicaly)
  7. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

Alright here is what I have

Attached Files:

8. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

as far as i can see the TONE and VOLUEM is correct

Puzzeld by the switch for the pickups
    Guessing its a 2P3T slid switch (meaning there is two sides to it and 3 states)
    Now im using a 2P4T Rolate switch gives me Top/Bottem/Series/Parrel On one switch
    With 2P3T i can do Top/Bottem/Parrel but would use both sides of the switch
    IE one switch one pickup.. what would be pointless as wouldnt give you a humbuckle.

I dont know if say leaving a Pickup hooked up but not attached to earth would effect it.. i dont think it would so..
    Can do Top/Bottem/Series(Humbuckle)
    2P3T Humbuckler.jpg

TOP Plus...
  9. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

The selector is a standard 3 position pickup selector like in a les paul.

As stated before I do have a signal after the mini switches going to volume and tone
  10. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

Ok.. Im from a electronic Background, what i did as a job and college..
    also have a down side im Dyslexic so cant remember what things are called and how to spell them

your "Selector" is a OLD Blade Type of Switch, no better than the Frankinstine Knife blades
    I would say a 2P2T Toggle (on-on-on) would do that same thing

I would suggest making sure the Volume is turned to MAX so its not Just grounding the Output to Earth (daft thing to do but just making sure you got it set right)
    and just make sure they aint trouching on the Pots (maybe shinke sleaving)
  11. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

Alright thanks for the help man! I got everything working, kind of.

And what i mean by that is I think I have a grounding or soldering issue.

The whole thing works but only when it is positioned a certain way. When the pickguard is fully connected it doesn't make sound, but when 1 screw is on its great, and works perfect.

I think its a connection or ground issue.

I have a similiar issue with a tele I have, it all works but buzzes like mad (even for single coils, but when I touch a know it sounds normal.

Is it a connection problem? I got a pretty craptacular soldering iron