help with gut string ID

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Kevinlee, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

Can someone tell me what type of guts these are? They were bought from a used string box a Fretwell's.

Thanks
    Kevinlee

Attached Files:

2. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Hey Kevin, the one with the red-colored gut is a Red o Ray I think, I just got an E string like that. Pretty neat.

3. superman

superman

The two strings with the blue and yellow silk are Artones,,which were one of the best strings that you could buy. Billy Linneman at the Opry swore by them,,I have a few of them and they are some of the best guts I have ever encountered,,The red gut is a Red O Ray which were made by the E.O Mario co,which made strings under the Labella name as well,, they also had like 4 other lines of strings,, all were about the same,Nutones,Sweetones,etc. The plain gut is anyones guess,, its had a knot tied in it so it could be anything,, most older guts either had a loop tied in the end or the gut itself made the loop, so it could be a old string that broke and was retied,,. Kent

4. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Very cool info, Superman. I wish I could find some Artones or other NOS guts, but they are real hard to find out in California. I think yall Nashville guys got them all stashed! :)

I found a Red o Ray E string that I may be trying out soon, but it and the old package is so cool I almost just want to hang it on the wall. :D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. superman

superman

It's funny you say that because one of the best finds I ever made was when I was in Calif back in 2002 with Rhonda Vincent at Grass Valley,there was a bass luither set up there at the festival he had a whole box of strings,,I found a complete set of Artones unopened,,I asked the price,,he said "well I guess $100 or so,, I said I'll give you $75,,he said ok,,
    what a deal,,they are really good strings,but hard to find.
    I have a G&D Artone on one of mine right now,,

7. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

I need to start going to the bluegrass festivals then. I have just been getting into more bluegrass lately.

8. LyleRyan

LyleRyan Supporting Member

How about these guts? I just got a 1946 Kay one-owner Bass, and these strings look like they've been on a long time.

Silk colors are (close to):
    E = gold + light green
    A & G = light blue + gold
    D = tan + gold

The A&E are metal (silver?) wrapped on an obviously gut core, and have turned entirely black. The D&G are red with a finely-ribbed plastic coating, and may have a gut core or not.

Thanks for any input....Lyle

Attached Files:

9. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

Lyle,

Try using a little silver polish to clean the tarnish off the metal wound strings. Or they also have these silver polishing cloths that are pre-moistened. Then after that, clean off the excess polish with a cloth and a little alcohol. The strings may come back to life a bit.

10. LyleRyan

LyleRyan Supporting Member

To answer my own question: I now believe the strings in my photo are Artone.

I was giving the Bass a once-over with a slightly damp rag, just to take off a few years of grime, and a tiny label that must have been on the strings behind the tailpiece came loose, reading "Artone, Gold Label".

This also makes sense since an unused G & D were in the bag pocket with an Artone label on them, though they are uncolored and uncoated.

On closer inspection, I can see that the red strings are, in fact, gut; the ends are uncoated and you can see the gut twists. A lot of the black on the wound strings came off with just a damp cloth.

The strings actually don't sound too bad, though they must have been on there a lot of years. I'll probably play them until I figure out what I'm doing with the Bass.

...Lyle

11. M Ramsey

M Ramsey

Old Kingpin, Superman (see post above) has played 40-50 year old strings for years. He just can't seem to have enough money to buy those new "shiny" stings. If he don't want them old strings of yours, I'll take them.

Better yet, don't even offer them to Superman, just send them on to me. I think he's got a few spares right now, anyway.

I'll even cover the postage and buy you a soda. :smug:

12. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Haha, yeah I'll take em off yer hands and won't even charge you for it.

I have a NOS LaBella set, a few Red o Rays, and a pristine Artone D that is the most beautifull gut string I have ever seen.

I am always looking for more when I can afford it. It's a sickness.

I really do believe that commercially-made guts were of better quality back then though. Maybe not all of them, but the ones I have been able to snag so far are really nicely made.

Bigger diameter, nice high-twist and totally glass smooth, and a bit more tension due to the bigger gauge. They have that huge fat woody percussive sound and short sustain that I love so much.

13. samriley

samriley

sorry to revive an old thread but im excited!
    i've just restrung my bass with an entirely NOS set of Artones. oh my god. these are the best strings I have ever played. the D is so clear. they just don't make them like they used to. trouble is, one day these will wear out and i will be disapointed if I can't find any more!! anybody have any more Artones?
    I will take some pics soon and start a new thread