help with impedance issue ampeg svt-II

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ripper78, Feb 11, 2014.

1. ripper78

ripper78

Hey,
    I need some help with an impedance problem. I currently run a 1990 ampeg svt-II (non-pro) through an ampeg 810. I'm about to pick up a new cab to add to my current set up, the model being an ampeg svt-1510he. It's got a 15", 10" and tweeter and is 8 ohms from what I've read online.
    My head has two impedance options: 4 ohms or 2 ohms.
    The 810 is 4 ohms and the new cab is 8 ohms.
    I don't see a way to match the cabs to the head.
    How do I safely run both cabs and on what impedance should I set the head? My 810 has two 1/4 inch output jacks (and speak-ons but the smaller cab does not so we'll ignore them)
    help?
    Here's some links to the gear:
    head: http://www.spengler-music.co.uk/SVT11300.pdf
    810: http://www.ampeg.com/pdf/svt810eav.pdf
    1510: http://manningsmusicals.co.uk/amplification/ampeg-svt-1510he-speaker-cabinet/
  2. KablesP

KablesP

Set the amp to 2ohm. An 8ohm and a 4ohm cabinet together create a 2.67ohm load.

However, I don't really feel like the 1510 will add all that much to your setup. Add another 810 :bassist::D

I just grabbed an SVTII NP as well and I love it! Still have yet to play it through an 810, but I imagine it is glorious!!
  3. dincz

dincz

Use the 4 ohm setting. Tube amps tolerate mismatch to a lower impedance better than higher.
  4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

+1

why bother?

on top of everything else, that goofy mismatched cab being 8Ω means it'll only get like half the amp power that the other 4Ω cab gets, making it even more pointless.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KablesP

KablesP

Did not know this. Thanks for the heads up :bassist:
  7. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1
  8. ripper78

ripper78

I want the 15" because I play sludge and want the extra lows. I've seen other heavy bassists do it and have heard/felt the difference.
    Wasn't looking for opinions on my "pointless" addition, but rather help with impedance and whether to run in series/parallel. Anyone?
  9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

you're assuming that a 15 cab is gonna have more lows than something else, and that's not true at all. 4 tens will usually smoke a typical single 15 for lows, along with highs and volume. you've got almost twice the speaker cone area and four times as many magnets driving it!

if you want to drag out two big cabs for a massive wall of lows, nothing will beat a second matching 8x10.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah, well welcome to Talkbass ;)

To keep up with an 810, you'd need at least two 15"s, preferably 4.
  11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I'll second Jimmy's welcome and agree fully with his comment. Putting a single 15 in parallel with an 8x10 IS pointless. It will always be a very weak link in your system and subject to failure even at twice the impedance of the 8x10.

A single 15 puts out about what a 2x10 can produce. If you do a search you'll find many post from folk who have mated one to a 4x10. The 15 inevitably fails. To work safely with a 4Ω 8x10 you would need a 4Ω 4x15.

The thought that a larger cone equates to more lows is simple tripe. If it did, how would PJB cabinets produce any lows at all? Their drivers are 5".
  12. catgut

catgut

True true. I have single 5" drivers in my hi-fi that reach 28-30Hz. The 8" and 10"ers before only got 45Hz or so. Construction, tuning, air, all matter.
  13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Yes, you're getting good advice. Maybe not what you wanted, but solid advice nonetheless.