1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help with installing bridge/parts onto a body

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by shawshank72, Sep 4, 2013.

1. shawshank72

shawshank72

For the past few years the only basses ive owned and played are made from parts. I do this myself and i love it!
    Thing is all the basses ive done have had the screw holes and such for everything to be assembled.
    Replace bridges, pickguards, pickups, tuners, necks, etc. but always using existing screw holes.
    I want to get a body that has none existing to be more selective at what i want.
    What i need to know is where do i place the bridge measurement wise?
    And whether im screwing in pickguard, bridge, or tuners what is the best way to do so?
    Can i just tap a little then screw directly into the wood?
    Or do i need to pre-drill a smaller hole first?

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Might I suggest that getting a copy of Dan Erlewine's book(s) on guitar repair would be helpful?

Also, I think you will find discussions of bridge measurement and placement in threads here. It would be good to spend some time digging around and building a good understanding rather than just getting a few comments.

3. shawshank72

shawshank72

Thank you for the info.

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad