1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help with my Ampeg Br-2e

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by staffordjon05, Jan 20, 2013.

1. staffordjon05

staffordjon05

I'm running my Ampeg Br-2E into a Ampeg 8x10 classic cab. And I'm not getting the power/volume I want out of it.
    Can I add a power amp to help my Ampeg?

2. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

3. staffordjon05

staffordjon05

I'm new to bass amplification and I'm just not sure how adding a power amp works exactly

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I love the night life, I got to boogie....
    If you need more power, I would personally look at a higher powered amp.

The B2-RE is not a very loud amp.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. simplebass

simplebass

I agree with Baird
    However there is a preamp out on the back of your br-2 which you could run to a poweramp.

7. staffordjon05

staffordjon05

Basically that is what I was wondering if adding a poweramp will boost my volume a bit. I mean my Br-2e keeps up with 100 watt tube Marshalls but I just want a little more out of it.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Crank the gain harder. Ignore the light and push the gain up till you hear distortion, then back off it slightly till the distortion clears up.

9. staffordjon05

staffordjon05

10. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

staffordjon05, Your manual states you can run a 1/4" cable from the preamp out on the back of your B2-re into a power amp. The thing is, you have 450 watts with a 4 ohm load, right now. That should be loud enough, already. If you're not getting enough out of the amp, the first thing I would do is start cutting the lows a bit. The 810 you're using isn't really a low end monster. You might be pushing lows from your amp that your cab isn't able to give you. Try putting 40Hz at 0 on your graphic EQ, maybe and see if that helps.

11. bass19021

bass19021

+1 to this. Also the mid knob has gain to it and is actually the first tone knob in the chain, after gain of course (wierd isn't it?) So crank it and use the eq to tame any harshness. Also try leaving the 40 slider at flat or lower, then boost the 80 about half way up, then boost 120 even more. Good luck!

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 crank the gain UP, and +1 turn the bass eq DOWN. Instant volume increase. Boosting lows eats your power, and it's harder on the spkrs. Cut the lows, and you have extra power.