1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help with my string nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Dec 14, 2012.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

I'm installing a new nut on my bass. I'm using a Tusq nut and the only one that was close to the right dimensions is their Jazz replacement nut. The problem is that nut is radiused and my nut slot is flat. I could sand the bottoming of the nut flat but would rather build up under it.

What material can I put under the nut so that it'll rest right in the nut slot?
  2. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

The problem is that you are in possession of the wrong part. Purchase a new blank with a flat bottom. Or make one from scratch.

An alternative would be to build up the radius on the new part with CA glue. When the radius is overfilled file or sand it back to level. If it seems like a lot of work it is. Making one from scratch is easier.
  3. fourstringbliss

I don't have any nut files and the original nut broke into pieces.
  4. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Nut files are not used for reshaping the bottom of the nut. A flat file or sandpaper on a level surface will suffice.

Fitting a nut is a labor intensive job that requires some specialized tools. It is a game played in thousandths of an inch. Good hand skills and experience working to tight tolerances is key. While some are able to improvise tools with varying degrees of success there is no substitute for having trained hands and a good eye.
  5. fourstringbliss

Thanks for the CA idea on filling the nut radius. Luckily it's only gently radiused, so there won't be much filling that I need to do. I think I'll use the gel kind of CA.

I've had pretty good luck using pre made nuts on basses in the past but this one's a bit of a mystery.
  6. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

It's fifteen to twenty minutes of fooling around. That easily doubles the price of the blank. It's cheaper to order the right one and chuck the first one in the parts bin.

Why is this nut a bit of a mystery?
  7. fourstringbliss

It's just different than the other SX jazz nuts I've had. I ordered a flat bottom nut and am going to make it work. The dimensions are pretty close.