1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help with Neck-Thru Construction

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Cellwelder, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Cellwelder

Cellwelder

Disclosures:
    Gee, I wish I had a commercial affiliation. I could use a little more spending money...
    Right. As the title says, I plan to build with a neck-thru construction, and I plan to use Teak for the body and Siam Rosewood for a fingerboard (Because getting anything else is too expensive in Thailand).

I have a semester of high school to build it, so I need to be as efficient as possible. And since this is my first build, I plan to make it fretless, and use lighter wood strips as fret markers. Now, is it better to install the markers, sand the fretboard and then glue it on? Or do I glue it on first, then work on it?

Thanks,
    Rick

2. Bassmanmike1

Bassmanmike1 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sittin' In Limbo
    Do all the work on the board first, then glue it on. This would be the time to do any inlays or position markers too.

3. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

You can do it either way. If you do the veneers first, make sure to have something planned on how to get it lined up perfectly and stay in place while you're gluing it to the neck. Pins work for that, but you want to leave room outside of the area that will end up as the fingerboard to put the pins while gluing, then cut that part off later.

I would suggest doing ALL neck/fingerboard work before gluing the body wings on.

4. Bassmanmike1

Disclosures:
    Sittin' In Limbo
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Thanks for sharing that, it looks awesome. I especially liked seeing the process of the tailpiece since I'm going to be making one in my current build.

7. Bassmanmike1

Disclosures:
    Sittin' In Limbo
    Thanks. My pleasure. We're here to help.