Help with Newby

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MevagisseyMedic, Nov 23, 2012.

1. MevagisseyMedic

MevagisseyMedic

Hi There, I need some advise, I am looking at getting my first Jazz Bass and Amp now where to start,

1, do i spend more money on a good Bass and a cheaper amp
    By good Bass I was thinking of a Fender mim. and a vox Bass Amp or similar.
    also this fender is fretless. (fender @ £300 amp @ £60- 80)

or

2, a cheaper Bass, and a better Amp
    That would be a Squire Jazz Bass and a Ampeg BA115HP
    (i've seen a 2nd hand squire Jazz for £95 amp £300)

My thoughts are, and tell me if i'm wrong, a cheap bass will sound good thru a good amp but a good bass can sound crap thru a bad amp.

thanks for looking.
  2. Bassquest

Bassquest

Go with option 2. Squier is a decent bass and the Ampeg is a good amp too with the power you'll probably need. Together they'll sound a lot better than option 1.
  3. MevagisseyMedic

MevagisseyMedic

Thanks, I'll pop over and look at the Squire Tomorrow and Its not the Jazz but the P-J, that a good one to go for?

Music style I like is Country, Blues and some Rock.
  4. wilfred

wilfred

Yup better amp hands down! a good amp will make any cheap bass sound good, not the other way around.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

+1!

5sg.
  7. P Town

P Town Guest

If money were an issue, I would buy the best instrument i could afford first.
  8. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Better amp here too. By the way, I play through an Ampeg 115 for my worship gig and with a jazz it sounds fantastic. Good pairing.
  9. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Yup. Get a good amp. Go with a cheaper bass. Or what you can afford. After selling off all my old gear and getting back into playing bass I wish I spent more and got a better amp from the get go. Ive got a Squier Jag which is a great bass. But I bought a cheap 30 watt practice amp and it farts like crazy. Cant mess with the eq on it at all. Have to keep everything below half way and it definately affects the setup of my bass. I could set the strings lower and get it more to my liking if it wasnt for the way the amp reacted to it.
  10. Alex1984

Alex1984

I'd go for a classic vibe or vintage modified Jazz + a smaller combo.
  11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

P/J sounds good. Be sure to have a pro tech give it a setup when you get the bass. Also ask about shielding the pickups to reduce noise,and polishing/smoothing the frets and sanding the back of neck for better action.

I'd go with fretted for your first bass.

What's your total budget?
  12. Alex1984

Alex1984

I'd go with fretted too.
  13. tmdazed

tmdazed

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS absolutely this , nothing worse than a crappy instrument that cant be set up properly or tuned correctly and stay that way. Nothing will discourage a beginner more
  14. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I too am on the side of getting a better instrument rather than a better amp. That said, the Squier is supposedly a great axe for the money. I haven't played one, so I won't say, but they get a lot of love on TB. In short, I don't think you're going to go wrong either way you go. I know that's not very helpful in making a decision, but maybe it will at least set your mind at ease somewhat.

But I do want to respectfully disagree with the idea that you should start on a fretted bass. No one tells an aspiring violinist they should start with a mandolin. If you want to play fretless, you should go ahead and start on fretless, IMO.
  15. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

I'd go for option 1 and slowly save up for a better amp. Kinda odd with either option though... Option 1 is more like gold being crapped on and option 2 is more like trying to polish turd into gold. Then again, Squiers are fine players and the Ampeg BA115 is a nice amp - so what I'm saying doesn't really apply unless you were going with a SVT and a Fender Starcaster bass... Oh, those horrible, horrible Starcasters...
  16. Darren Low

Darren Low

I loled
  17. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

.. almost need more info ... we have no idea of location and if access to gear is limited, or if you are buying new or used, etc ...

... if you can translate funds you are working with to US $$, it would help some of us ... and then models of basses, would help too ... its tough to go wrong with a Squier if you are just starting, but some models may be better than others for value, resale and what you have access to ..

... if you are brand new, it could be some time before you need an amp to play with others, so all you need there is the cheapest you can find to hear yourself and then keep for practice amp or sell for what you paid for it when you upgrade down the road (thats why you buy used when starting IF you can) ... in this scenario, your bass is you main focus, buy something that you love to play and you cant put it down ... again, your tastes will change, so if you can buy used so you minimize your loss if you sell ...you will get a better bang for th buck buying used here too ... IF it is available where you are ...
  18. Warhawk

Warhawk

A cheap bass may sound good through a good amp. A good bass will likely sound bad through a cheap amp. I'd wait and save up some more money so you can get both a good bass and amp.
  19. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

A beginner, at least in my case, I had no idea what I needed or was looking for. It took me 3 basses in just to get an idea of what I really liked and didn't like or needed in an instrument. And even then, I was still relatively clueless. I could of had an MIA jazz, and probably still would have liked my Soundgear better. I was just too busy playing.

This is another reason why I feel that a better amp is the correct route. If it's a pretty good amp, you are most likely not going to need another one for a very long time and will have good sound as you go on your journey finding the bass type that really speaks to you and takes some players a lifetime to find.
  20. MevagisseyMedic

MevagisseyMedic

Thanks everyone, I think the Amp will change slightly, I am going for the BA115 and not the HP version I know it's less wattage but as a beginner I can live with that.

Now the Bass, Just go for the Squer P Special or a MIM Jazz fretles.

You see I already have a MIM Strat in Sunburst Custom Shop Special with vox amp.

If I can sell my Squier standard strat with my Line 6 amp then I will go Mexican.
  21. MevagisseyMedic

MevagisseyMedic

Oh and Thanks for all these replies, Great Website.