1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help with overdrive - stack darkglass or not?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Guinness20, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Guinness20

Guinness20

I'm just taking the first steps to building a pedalboard. I've got my tc mini spark, which I love to bits, and when I have the pennies I'm going to grab a tall font russian and a tlc compressor.

With regards to overdrive, I was debating whether to go b7k or b3k and a tone hammer/sadowsky di - summit like that. But a friend advised me to sort the overdrive first, then see if I need an eq.

So that turned me in the direction of the b3k and vintage. The b3k sounds a bit metallic for my liking on its own, but I reckon it would cut through well. I've also heard a clip of it with a tfr and loved it. I've heard from a lot of people who think that the vintage isn't all that.

But saw this video, and the two pedals used together sound incredible!!!

But ten the b7k can produce the same sounds as a b3k and then some. And though I know it's COMPLETELY different to the b3k, I actually quite like the sound o the ashdown lomenzo hyperdrive pedal - the video of him dialling it in was the influence.

So I'm stuck - do I get both the b3k and vintage for that sound, or do I get the b7k and not have to worry about eq? ANy help would be much appreciated :D
  2. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe Supporting Member

This is probably no help, but, I use a B7K and a Vintage. The B7K is great but it doesn't produce the Vintage sound. Best of both worlds.
  3. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member

I'm no help, I use a vintage, b3k and everything goes to a b7k.

Yes I stack the vintage and b3k into b7k. I also use a dg harmonic booster at times, lol
  4. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

I had the B3K but got rid of it because it didn't pair with my VT too well (which I was using for my preamp). I sold that and bought the B7K, VMT and Tone Hammer (all for my preamp showdown in my signature). I really liked the sound of the Tone Hammer with both the VMT and the B7K when run flat (a la the B3K). The B7K is a little weird by itself, the EQ centers aren't quite where I would want them. That said, it's the bees knees for tons of other bass players, so don't let that concern you.

If you're looking for an always on pedal and think you might want the EQ, the B7K might be a great fit. If you are looking to have a tone-shaper first and then be able to kick on the OD, maybe the B3K + preamp pedal is the route to go. At the bottom of my page I do some combos of effects. Keep in mind that all of this is direct, so the VT and Sansamp sound (to me) a little better due to their speaker emulation). The B7K sounds better through my amp then the clips I got direct.
  5. Guinness20

Guinness20

That shootout is incredible, I've been through everything a few times! Do you have a favourite of all the pedals and combos you used?
  6. toblerone24

toblerone24

I have a VMT (always on) and a B3K that I stack together. Thinking of swapping out the B3K (too modern for my tastes) for a Tall Font Russian, as I'm more of a vintage player and like a classic tone... Anyone tried stacking VMT with TFR?
  7. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    I had a B3K, it defo sit in the mix or cuts through it, depending on how you have your bass set up. But parted with it because I went off the sound of it
  8. Guinness20

Guinness20

Now I'm thinking a little differently.

Because I'm not certain that the overdrive would be an always-on, there's no point in getting the b7k. I can always upgrade to it later.

I'm not certain that any pedal would be an always on - so now I'm almost looking at a tone-shaping pedalboard and an fx board all-in-one, if that doesn't sound stupid. In terms of tone-shaping, i was thinking sansamp para driver and a tone-enhancing comp (would've been the diamond bass comp, but because of 18v will probably go for TLC).

And as much as I like the tfr, at times i might be playing with just the fuzz on, in which case I might get lost. So now I'm thinking Musket fuzz. Still considering the b3k, alongside the lomenzo hyperdrive and the bjfe blueberry.
  9. Mr. Lovejoy

Mr. Lovejoy

My honest suggestion for how to create a "pedalboard" (feel free to ignore it). Start by playing clean and toying with your amp. Then add each effect in individually and come up with a very good reason why you NEED it for your tone.

Write an essay on each pedal about why you love it so much. Take it to a cocktail party and caress it softly in the corner.

Take it on a vacation and show pictures of it to your parents like you are going to marry it.

A pedal that you don't absolutely need (like "there is a fire, take one thing and get out" need) is just a metal box collecting dust that cost you a few hundred bucks.
  10. Guinness20

Guinness20

Thanks for the... advice?

Am I right in assuming that the tar will get lost in the mix - I play in a band with two distorted guitars.
  11. Mr. Lovejoy

Mr. Lovejoy

All problems start internally.

If you think you really don't have the sound you need already, that is the first place to look.

More pedals won't solve problems that are really due to technique, just wanting an excuse to buy more things, or are just in your head. If you have knocked out all those possibilities and conclude you absolutely need it beyond a shadow of a doubt, then worry about it.
  12. falconspatriots

falconspatriots Oh Word Supporting Member

Yup VMT into a B7K is seriously all you'll ever need. I leave the B7K on all the time and kick on the VMT when I need vintage grind. They're pricey but if you plan on buying pedals until you find THAT tone, get these pedals!! I spent more money buying cheaper pedals because I wanted to save a buck. Spend the extra cash initially and reap the reward!
  13. Guinness20

Guinness20

Well Mr. Lovely it's difficult to call as I'm not far off buying a new bass. I love my sound, but I don't cut through in the band mix, which is why I was looking at the b3k for its metallic sound, and the combination of the b3k and the tfr sounds ace! - https://soundcloud.com/bigbassbob/girltfrb3k.

The contenders for my next bass are an american deluxe jazz, the am. special & am. standard and a stingray, all of which have more clarity to their tone.

I appreciate your advice Mr. Lovely, but I think you've misunderstood - I love my sound, my technique is decent considering that I've only been playing for 18 months, and the ONLY~ reason I'm looking at pedals is to either help me cut through, or desired effects on certain songs - such as fuzz on Three Day's Grace cover of The Chain.
  14. toblerone24

toblerone24

B7K has those awesome extra EQ options and the DI etc. However I find that I can get some decent modern sounds by stacking the B3K with the VMT. It just depends what you like- I'm more into vintage sounds so I might swap out the B3K for something else eventually. I have a tilting EQ on my compressor which I use to cut some of the high mids / high end out on the B3K. I like the idea of stacking the TFR though, as it sounds like it's capable of more "subtle" fuzz sounds, as far as fuzz pedals go... Argh so many options out there!
  15. Guinness20

Guinness20

Aaargh I know! It's so frustrating, wish I had just two to choose between! Well if the tfr doesn't get lost in the mix then I might be good to go, I just thought if I was using the fuzz pedal by itself I might not be heard - which was why I was thinking musket, as it has the mids control.

I don't think I'd ever buy the vmt to use by itself - not a special enough sound foe me. It would need to be combo'd with the b3k or a preamp. MD Blueberry is still a contender (v. versatile), gone of the ashdown hyperdrive.
  16. toblerone24

toblerone24

I actually love my VMT by itself, whether picking or finger style - it's got a nice warmth, great mid presence and some nice dirt that's not too overpowering - capable of light overdrive which is like "clean dirt" if you will, lol
  17. Guinness20

Guinness20

Thanks :) You know when you say the vintage is warm, is it muffled at all? Currently I don't have too much clarity to my tone, does it add any or take away any?
  18. toblerone24

toblerone24

Dialing in a bit of drive will add bite to your sound and you'll cut through with the added harmonics. I generally use moderate blend and drive settings with the era turned mostly clockwise. If you have the era knob turned all the way counterclockwise it could sound less clear or cutting perhaps, but you can always balance it out with the blend knob so I've never experienced any muddiness. The VMT may assist with clarity somewhat but it's more about the character that the drive gives, which makes this an amazing pedal for me
  19. Guinness20

Guinness20

Does anybody have anymore clips of the b3k and vmt together?

Right now I think I'm favouring the b7k - the vmt doesn't heave enough clarity for me, the bjfe blueberry is still versatile but with the b7k I can cut through, while rolling off the metallic sound of the b3k.
  20. mouthmw

mouthmw Supporting Member

VMT into Phat Phuk B does wonders for me. Kick it on when I want some awesome vintage dirt. For more dirt, I kick on the TFR. Madness!