1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help with Preamp Selection...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Nov 11, 2013.

1. bobbykokinos

bobbykokinos

Hey everyone.

Hopefully this hasn't been asked to death. If it has, I apologize.

I have a Schecter California Custom 4 and 5 string bass (photos below). I love the basses and how they sound but I have a weird fear of the battery dying on a gig and being left without anything. Usually, I carry a passive bass with me just in case but its getting kind of old carrying two basses. Yeah, i'm overly cautious.

I'd like to upgrade their electronics with a preamp that has a true bypass so, if the battery does die, I can still play it. Also, I'd like to add a mid control without drilling another hole. I'd like to keep the pickups in them but am willing to change them out if the price is right. Specs say that the 4 string has an "EMG Active J/J Combo with BTS active EQ" and the 5 string has an "EMG 40P5 and EMG 40J"

Any thoughts or suggestions?

[​IMG]

2. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

check out audere preamps they are awesome I put one in my peavey tl5 what a difference. real hifi.

3. bobbykokinos

bobbykokinos

I had an Audere on a custom bass I had before. Honestly, I don't remember how it sounds. But, I'm not sure HiFi is the sound I'm going for. Ideally, Id love to just keep the sound I have now but add a mid control and passive option.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Aguilar OBP-3. It will work fine with your Active pickups (you'll have to get the correct volume pots for your EMG's) and can be configured for 4 knob operation. I'd go vol/blend/mid/bass-treble stack with a push/pull on the volume for bypass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bobbykokinos

bobbykokinos

How would I know what pots to get? Is there some info online that would guide me through the selection?

Once I get everything, I can read a schematic pretty well and put it together. Just a matter of getting the right stuff.

7. mustBmtd

mustBmtd

Give some thought to the Bart, HR-4.6 NTMB 918F. Push/Pull A/P vol, blend, mid,Push/Pull, Stacked Bass/Treble. Using it myself, just haven't installed yet. Working on locating the right pickups for when I do. :bassist:

8. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

Swap out the BTS for a BQC. Two knobs for two (stacked) knobs.

The guys at BestBassGear can wire it up for you with the active/passive switch too.

9. mmbongo

I believe you just need 25k volume pots. You may already have them in both your basses.

10. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Gold Supporting Member

Since the pickups are active there is no option to truly go passive, regardless of whatever preamp you buy. If you want to be able to go passive you will need different pickups.

11. bobbykokinos

bobbykokinos

So I would need to go totally passive or basically run passive pickups on an active preamp?

I'm not opposed to changing out the pickups but don't want to make a huge sound change from what I have now. Just want to have the insurance of being able to play if the battery dies.

12. aproud1

The EMG Pickups are active so even if you run passive electronics you will still need a battery to run the pickups.

If you really like the sound of the pickups I wouldn't change them. I would try to trouble shoot why you're going through batteries so fast (do you leave the bass plugged in all the time, is the jack wired right) When I've had active electronics I have never had a problem with a dead battery on stage. They last a while and will start sounding worse before the battery is totally dead.

You could also run two parallel batteries increasing the life.

13. mmbongo

Impossible with the pickups you have.

14. bobbykokinos

bobbykokinos

Say I DO want to swap out the pickups, what setup might I consider to get the versatility I'm looking for? Main thing is I don't want to drill and holes or anything. Really looking for as close to plug and play as possible.

I like the sound of the pickups but really haven't heard many other pickups to know what upgrades are out there.

15. aproud1

I would do Some nice Single Coils with a Glockenklang pre in the Jazz.

Delanos with a Glockenklang pre in the other.

All IMO of course.

16. mmbongo

Every jazz style bass I've had with EMG's, I yanked them and replaced with Bartolini's or DiMarzio Area J's. Either of these will give you more clarity, depth, and sound less sterile.