1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help with project bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ericdanger13, Nov 5, 2012.

1. ericdanger13

ericdanger13

Hey guys can you help me pick between two basses? Remeber the necks will probably be changed on either one i get.

First the one im leaning more towards.
    Its a yakima bass that strings through the body. No pickguard knobs or jack. A little rough but id refinish it professionally. I can get it for $80

The second bass is a squire p bass great condition. Everything is there been treated well. I think its ten years old. Nothing special. That would definitely get a new neck and finish because its black and i dont want another black instrument. I think theyre boring. $125

What do you guys think? Im changing the pickups to some pups probably. Let me know what you guys would do. Thanks!
  2. zackthompson

zackthompson Supporting Member

I would do the Yakima bass. String-thru is nice to have.
  3. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

They make a TON of aftermarket stuff to fit Fender design basses. I don't know how compatible Yakima is.
  4. bolophonic

bolophonic

Is there something else you know about Yakima basses? Because you could pretty easily drill holes in a Squier and still have a bass that people have heard of.
  5. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    Tons of options for the Squier. I'd go with that. No shortage of aftermarket upgrades there. Including necks.

Good luck.
  6. BGF

BGF

I'd get the Squier. :bassist:
  7. ericdanger13

ericdanger13

Thanks guys. I think im going with the squier.
  8. ericdanger13

ericdanger13

9. bolophonic

bolophonic

The guy is calling that bass "unplayed."
  10. zackthompson

zackthompson Supporting Member

Woah that's in horrible shape. Definitely go for the Squier haha
  11. danomite64

danomite64 Supporting Member

That Yakima headstock is the same as a Harmony headstock. I've had bad luck with two brands of bass necks warping in my life; Hondo and Harmony. I'd stay away from that neck, and I don't think what's left of that bass is worth anywhere near what the seller's asking for it anyway.
  12. danomite64

danomite64 Supporting Member

I think he meant to say "unplayable".
  13. ericdanger13

ericdanger13

This is what i ended up buying. From what i found out from the previous owner and tearing it apart its and mim body, american standard pickups, and a new york pro neck. Not bad for 60 bucks! Now what should i do with it? I either want to relic it because its already a little rough or seafoam green it like everyone else. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

14. bassteban

bassteban

I'd disassemble, clean and refin the body in rattle-can black, let it dry outdoors then go off-roading w/it lying loose in the back of a pickup truck. Seriously- Im watching for just the right Squier P body to do this myself. Add some loose junk in the PU bed for added *distressing*
  15. ericdanger13

ericdanger13

The finished project! Painted it my self with automotive paint from my work. Let me know what you guys think!

Attached Files:

16. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

Cleaned up nice! Is that an Ibanez bridge I see?

I like the colors
  17. ericdanger13

ericdanger13

Yup its off my busted sr490 so are the knobs good eye on that thanks!
  18. Darren Low

Darren Low

I like the original colour

But I like what you did better :D the stripes are a great touch +++ the matching pickup covers
  19. ericdanger13

ericdanger13

e bass was originally red then the guy who had it before me painted it blue. I took it down to barewood then primed then painted.
  20. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

I thought you didn't like black?