Help with replacement neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by redsfan73, Dec 8, 2013.

1. redsfan73

redsfan73

I have a late 70's Greco Mercury P bass. The neck is so warped though that it's not playable. Will a Fender or Squire neck fit without any modification. I was thinking of changing to a Jazz bass neck if it will fit. Thanks for the help.

2. BAce

BAce

First measure the width of the neck pocket on your Greco. Standard Precision neck pocket dimensions are 2.5" wide, 5/8" deep and 3.875" long. The Jazz Bass and the Precision Bass both use the same neck pocket routing for a rounded heel. The Telecaster bass does not, it has a square heel like a Telecaster guitar.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    Have you considered this? http://www.warpedneck.com/

I have used this gentleman's services 3 times, and it works very well. All three necks are still straight. :eyebrow:

4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

I'm betting that none are a perfect dimensional match, but pretty guaranteed the screw holes won't line up anyway, so then you're dowling and redrilling.
    Might as well go the Warmoth route since you're most likely having to sand-fit the neck and drilling for the screws anyway. You can measure your neck pocket and check with the measurements on replacement necks from Warmoth.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. redsfan73

redsfan73

I changed my strings to a lighter set and managed to get it adjusted enough so that it is playable. I had Labella Original 1954s (52-110) on it at first and I put on some D'Addario XL nickel round wounds (40-95) that I had laying around to see if it would help. I'm not very fond of the way it sounds now, but at least it's playable. I'm going to order some Chromes (40-95) and see if that helps. Wife won't let me buy a new neck. She says I've spent enough money on "junk" as it is. Pretty sure I can slip a new set of strings past her.