1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help with replacement speakers!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by whatisacup, Nov 7, 2012.

1. whatisacup

whatisacup

Hi everyone,

I hate asking for help on a forum, especially when I lack contribution, but that will soon change when I get more time.

I was at a local Music Go Round (chain of use gear stores) and they had what looks to be a custom made cabinet, but it looks like someone knifed the speakers ( your guess is as good as mine).

The cab is very well put together and I really like the dimensions, it's tall and slim. I've been looking for a cab like this for quite some time.

The inside is stuffed well and the craftsmanship is very good.

The inside dimsensuions are.....30" x 21" x 11".

It has 4 front ports, the diameter of each are 3 inches and they are 1" deep.

I work at a car audio place and my boss is offering to give me a mega deal on 4 of these http://www.faitalpro.com/products/schede/pa.php?id=101040100

That a customer ordered but never picked up.

What should I expect by throwing these speakers in this cab?

My gig cabinet is an Ampeg 810. I understand this cabinet won't sound anything like or not as good as the Ampeg. My practice space is 2 levels, the downstairs is where we play and the upstairs is storage. We share it with 3 other bands, so when we are done, we have to move our gear up stairs. I need a cabinet to keep at the space that I can move up/down the stairs without killing myself.
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Car audio spkrs are a very poor choice for bass guitar applications. The worst choice in fact. You need to download WinISD and use the information on that program to model proper bass guitar spkrs for the cab, if you want any chance of it sounding good. It's never as easy as throwing random spkrs in a box. Good luck.
  3. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

ummm not sure 30 x21x11
    sounds more like a pretty close match to a guitar cabinet.

might not have enough depth, or could be a rattle bucket if it has a slanted face and a long seam on the front baffle.

stuffing is nice...ported that is interesting might have to try and figure where your at.

The faitals look pretty nice should be close to typical 4mm 5mm 10" speakers like the well known eminence betas or 102.
    sensitivity seems good so the speakers should be fun.

But the Efficiency bandwidth product (EBP) will somewhat determine if a speaker will do better in a sealed or ported enclosure.

simple take the Fs (resonant frequency) and divide by Qes (electrical quality)

so 50 and below good for sealed
    50 and higher good for ported.

but with live sound drivers its a little closer to

50 to 70 sealed
    70 to 100 both
    100 and up ported.

so in this case the faitals are around 162 EBP so you would want a ported cabinet for sure. and i think the total port area on the cabinet might be a little lacking.
  4. whatisacup

whatisacup

It sure looks like a carefully crafted bass cabinet, I'm not sure who would put ports on a 410 guitar cab.

It isn't slanted, it looks very similar to the Ampeg 410 hlf with the front ports, minus the 18" depth the Ampeg has. It sort of looks like the Bergintoino 610 I keep reading about here.

5. whatisacup

whatisacup

These aren't car audio speakers. My boss has a good heart and has a lot of bad friends. He often orders stuff at wholesale prices with the intent to pass the discount on to his friends, but too often, he gets stiffed.
  6. whatisacup

whatisacup

Also, keep in mind the dimensions I took was stuffing to stuffing. If the stuffing wasn't in the cab, I would imagine wall to wall dimensions would be about +2"-3" for each side.

The cab has about a 16" outside depth to it, which is pretty standard to bass cabs.
  7. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

oh ok that is sounding better 16" outside is a good depth
    and the extra space with the stuffing makes more sense.

could work, maybe a picture and outside dimensions or wall to wall internal. but heck dont need to tear out some stuffing.
    maybe assume closer internal to be 31x26x14

so 6 to 6.5 cubic feet

4x3" round ports at 1" in length will give you a tuning around 60 to 65 hz.

which is close enough to the resonant frequency (Fs) of 60hz the Faitals have.

So yes it does appear to be more of a bass box, and 50 to 60hz is common for a few 10's so it should be ok for the most part.
  8. whatisacup

whatisacup

what hz are most basscabinets?
    not sure what this all means
    I like a good old school mid tone, could I get this out of it?
  9. ThisBass

ThisBass

Volume Vb: 6 cubic feet
    Vents: 4 x D = 3" / L = 1"
    QL: 7
    Damping/Fill: Minimal

Fb: 50Hz
    F3: 56Hz

... looks great.

I noticed the TS-Parameters on my database differ a bit.
    Maybe the manufacturer did an update/revision to the rated specs ....
    But that's nothing to talk home about.
  10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Without actually doing any modeling, those look like they might be credible speakers for a bass cab.