1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help with right EQ pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fitz420, Feb 20, 2014.

1. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows Supporting Member

So.....I literally can't find what I want. I've looked at everything. I owned an fdeck hpf-3 and loved it. I sold it because I want both a high pass filter and low pass filter in the same pedal. I know there is some terminology related to this stuff that I'm probably not using and don't know.

Basically I want a variable hpf where I would probably cut everything below 40 and a variable lpf where I would cut everything over 4-5k.

I've looked at the empress paraeq but I don't think it will do that and I honestly don't understand the q settings.

Does anyone have a NON RACK suggestion? Maybe theres a half rack unit I could mount under my board, I don't know.

2. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

The Q control on the empress basically works as narrow band, a slightly wider band, and a wide band. The narrow band would basically only affect the frequency you select via the control, the wider band would affect some neighboring frequencies, and the wide band would affect even more.

3. fitz420

so.....if i set the hpf at around 40 for example, and used the pinpoint setting (i'm assuming thats the middle one with the very sharp spike), it will cutoff everything under 40 without effecting anything above 40.

4. Bob C

Bob C

fitz420,

Although I've not used that pedal, I would guess the answer to your last question is "No".

A narrow Q setting will cut out (almost) ONLY that frequency - not everything below it. A wide setting will cut out more frequencies AROUND that mark (40 Hz, or whatever).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bob C

Bob C

Just reread your last post. Maybe an HPF will do what you want. But any parametric will not.

7. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I've never seen a pedal with true lp and hp filters. A parametric, like the Empress will get you close, but it doesn't have a true sloping cut off. Graphic eq's, same thing.

Aside from audio plug-ins for DAW's, I've only seen this in recording audio outboard gear. Perhaps a 500 series module with a small enclosure/power supply?

http://www.shinybox.com/product_info.php?products_id=93

[​IMG]

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...filter500&zmac=10&zmas=1&zmam=89202644&SID=-1

[​IMG]

Unless you are trying for speaker protection, or some similar 'utility' application, I bet a graphic or parametric will work for you. The Source Audio Programmable EQ is great & the Empress ParaEQ as well.

8. Dave W

No, and I shouldn't have said any para EQ will do what you want because they won't :) Removed...

Setting the Empress to the wide or widest setting could do what you're looking for, but it's not a lpf/hpf either. Setting it to the narrow band is only going to affect a narrow band of frequencies center around your selected freq.

9. scotch

Disclosures:
    Possibly the Boss PQ50 (no longer made) might do this. I know it has shelving eq options... it isn't a pedal, but is compact.

10. fitz420

I've been looking at that. That size would work too. I wish there was a modern equivalent that was affordable.

11. scotch

Disclosures:
    Curious what your application/goal is?

12. fitz420

Speaker protection on the lows, i love to use an octave pedal and feel i'm crushing my svt810 cab. As far as the highs go, I play a good 120 shows/year and deal with different FOH engineers. I've heard the way some guys eq bass out front and hate it. I really hate it when they don't low pass the bass and theres a ton of useless clanky highs going on. I would like to prevent that from happening. Basically I want to emulate the sound of a cabinet and feel like this would be the best way to do it.

13. fitz420

Maybe theres a better way of achieving this though. I don't know. I'm open to suggestions.

14. scotch

Disclosures:
    We have a very similar life it seems...

15. Dave W

Mic your cabinet :)

16. fitz420

Yeah, thats obviously the best way. I don't like pissing off FOH engineers either. We run 21 tracks and most of us have ears, so new engineers typically get annoyed right from the jump. I just want to send a signal to FOH with only the frequencies i think are appropriate for bass guitar. Most engineers we work with get it and are total pro's who know what to do.

17. scotch

Disclosures:
    Man, I've using & abusing octave down pedals for 20 years! (I love me some octaver.) I've never blown a speaker with that. My Ashbory bass? A lot!

18. scotch

Disclosures:
    I will *sometimes* use compression after my octaver in a boomy room or with an over-cautious engineer. Generally, I like to keep compression to a minimum though.

19. Swift713

Swift713

I know there are a number of options, eq's with hp filters like the fishman, or di's with cabinet emulation like the Palmer DI-9. There's several threads on these topics.