Help with speaker wattage

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by thebassbuilder, Feb 13, 2014.

1. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    I am thinking of building a 1x12 bass cab. I want to know when picking the high frequency speeker, does it matter what the wattage ratting is? Or does the crossover protect it? If so how do you choose the right crossover other than Xover point?
  2. phatcyclist

phatcyclist

I'm no expert, but I'd think you'd want your high frequency drivers to be capable of utilizing the wattage your bass driver could. What kind of RMS wattage are you looking to work with?
  3. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    My amp is a 1000 watt head. So I know no tweeter will take that.
  4. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

Power handling requirements, both thermal and mechanical decrease as frequency increases. The crossover "protects" it, in a sense, by blocking frequencies low enough to damage them. Poke around on Eminences website, the Greenboy forum, etc there's a lot to learn, and I'm just a dumb manufacturing drone that plays bass.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

That is not necessary at all. There is usually not very much going in the higher frequencies with bass guitar (see this page) so tweeters do not have to handle nearly as much power as the woofer. Most handle under 100W and around 50W is common.
  7. phatcyclist

phatcyclist

Interesting. I didn't realize the frequency range of a bass was so small.
  8. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    Cool thanks!
  9. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    I also forgot to ask in my post. If I build a 1x12 cab with high frequency driver would I go with 4 or 8 ohm in both drivers?
  10. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Like mentioned above, tweeters don't have as much power thrown at them in bass applications.
    But, if you're really paranoid (based on the above statement you shouldn't be.) about a tweeter blowing...
    Parts express also carries very high-power capable tweeters. They range from 250-350 watts each, in 8 and 4 ohms.
    If not, you can put 2 tweeters in your cab. 2x4ohm in series for 8 ohm cab, 2x8ohm in parallel for a 4 ohm cab. But that shouldn't be necessary with tweeters that handle that kind of power.
  11. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

You can go either. But, you MUST get a matching crossover, and both your drivers MUST have the impedance to be used with a passive crossover.
    If you want a second cab in the future, 8 ohms is the way to go
  12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

1000w is a helluva lot of amp for one 12, even two.
  13. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

It is, and I only know of one 12 that comes close to handling it. 900w rms power, it's the 12p1000 by beyma. Can't speak for it or beyma, I know nothing about them or that speaker really.
  14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well, to be clear, it's not that the range "stops" at a certain point, it's that the signal has low relative power in the higher frequencies. That's why tweeters don't need high power ratings. But the higher frequencies may be just as audible, even with lower inherent power, because we hear high frequencies more easily, they require less power to travel and be perceived.
  15. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    Good info!
  16. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Or two Kappalite 3012LFs will allow you to crank the amp.

fnord!
  17. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    I know this is a old post but had another thought and question. The amp I am using is 1000 watts but I think that is down to 2 ohms. If I get a decent rated 12" and tweeter both 8ohms will this make it a 4 ohm rating for my amp?

Also I am thinking of going with the Eminence APT80 tweeter. I see this is a common tweeter for a lot of companys. From the web site it says it starts at 3.5khz. Is this a good Xover point to start the tweeter? Also for bass where is the zingy slap tone you hear? I would love to have a full range cab that can reproduce that hi-fi slap tone.

Now on to the 12". Does anyone know of good 12" speakers one in a budget price range and another in a price does not matter range to recommend. Regardless of price range I want something that can do it all and be smooth about it. I am the type of person that likes all music, so I am not needing a blues rig or just a metal head rig. I want something that can handle it all. This will be a bedroom rig that could be used to jam with. I know this is a lot of watts for that but money is an issue with this and I do like the amp. I know the Faital Pro stuff is good but not cheap. So does eminence make something that would be good but in a cheaper range? I see the BETA-12A but not sure what to look for when making the best choice.

Also last question: Where does the low end stop at for a four string player that may do drop D tuning as well. I see some 12's that dont go real low but may be low enough and I do not know it.

Sorry for all the questions but thinks in advance.
  18. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Don't make wattage rating a consideration in the design of your setup, because it isn't a useful spec.
  19. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

No. The tweeter work together over a limited range and so the amp still sees nominally an 8Ω load.

That seems a bit high to me but it really depends on your woofer. That is going to carry most of the load so you should start by choosing it first. The zing and bite of slap tone is around the 3KHz to 5KHz range.

Not sure. You can see a lot of specs and stuff here.

A dropped D is at 37Hz. You can get a good sound from it by having a solid second harmonic which would be 74Hz and for maximum clarity you should try for that since you are going to use 12s. It may not be the absolute best sound because it will not have the fundamental but it should be good. Lots of people use a high pass filter and roll off frequencies that low and they still sound good. Of course, there are exceptions and differences of opinion on this topic but that's mine.
  20. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    Great stuff and thank you! Yes the tweeter I agree with you may need to be picked first. A lot speakers seem to end right at this point or just before. Thanks again.
  21. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

I meant you should choose the woofer first since it's driving the bus.

One other thing - many people like to run their woofers full-range and then use just a capacitor to act as a high-pass filter for the mid or tweeter. The reason for this is then the crossover doesn't need a big, heavy, inductor to roll off the woofer - you can rely on its natural response.