1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help with Squier Deluxe Jazz Bass V Mods

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cdginger, Jul 26, 2010.

1. cdginger

cdginger

I'm sorry if this has already been posted, but currently I'm in the process of Modding my Squier Deluxe Active Jazz Bass V 5-String. I know that I want Seymour Duncan Antiquity II Pickups, but I'm completely clueless when it comes to the electronics and the preamp. Im mainly playing Jazz, Gospel, and R&B if that helps at all. Please give me some reccomendations on Electronics, or tell me what you have done to yours. Thanks!!!
  2. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

I know this may seem a silly question, but I'm curious - exactly why are you modding it? Are the components you want to change all that bad?
  3. cdginger

cdginger

i know this may seem silly, but i sold my rickenbacker 4003 and bought a macbook pro and the squier. So im kinda just trying to make the squier the highest quality that i can. Thepickups were actually pretty decent, but there was clearly room for improvement. The electronics were ok but they were wired very sloppily. I could get by with what is in there, but i'm just trying to get the nicest quality out of a cheap but great bass.
  4. plangentmusic

plangentmusic

The pu's in the Squier J Deluxe are hot as hell. WHy would you want to change them?
  5. PhiDeck

PhiDeck

Can't Leave Well Enough Alone Syndrome?
  6. cdginger

cdginger

Basically
  7. PilbaraBass

PilbaraBass

I really love mine...have had it since 2008 and it's still stock...

the major thing I did with mine that made a huge difference for me was to string it with Fodera Diamond Series SS...I know many folks don't like these and they may not work with all basses, but I feel they suit this bass particularly well.

In the electronics department, I'm looking to change out the SC pickups with a pair of DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups... I know that they're bright for an already bright bass, but they also have a low-end structure that's particularly well-suited for this bass...and I want something clean in a hum-cancelling design.

Finally, after I've changed the pickups and I still feel I need to go further, I've decided on a glockenklang 2-band preamp...
    this way I can take advantage of the 2-band, a passive-bypass and a passive roll-off...I like the glock's specs...

finally, I'd have the toggle position free and may look to doing something "crazy" like a mid-boost circuit...
  8. cdginger

cdginger

Thanks, i was thinking get the Seymour Duncan Antiquity II Pickups (if they make them for 5 strings) and then get an audere preamp put in. And after that I'd get a Badass Bridge and get a nice setup and it should be sounding tight. And i'm looking to do the same thing to a Vintage modified fretless.
  9. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

An Aguilar OBP3 sounds great with those basses.
    I dont know if the Antiquity pups fit but there are other options like Sadowsky, Dimarzio, and Nordstrand.
  10. A440Hz

A440Hz

Disclosures:
    Digital Audio Developer, ScratchAudio.com
    The only Antiquity pups I've seen for Jazz were fours. Seymour would make you one for custom, but that's more money than you were probably planning for. You could try Fralins, Lollars, or Nordstrands for a vintage vibe and reasonable $$.
  11. BFISHER1970

BFISHER1970 Supporting Member

I put a Sadowsky Preamp with VTC in mine when I had it.
    Sounded great with the stock pickups. I used the stock switch for series/parallel switching.
  12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'd do that bass first.

I've got a Squier Active 5 and it's held up to lots of my other basses. Even became my number 1 gigger for a while, and I got an incredible amount of compliments on the sound. I think the "Squier" logo begs for mods, but IMO you'll be throwing a bunch of money into something and possibly winding up with something that sounds worse than what you already have.
  13. pb9717

pb9717 Supporting Member

I went crazy modding mine. OBP1, Dimarzio Ultra Jazz, Sadowsky Pots and Knobs, VTC, preamp bypass..and gold EVERYWHERE. I found the stock preamp unusable. I just could not get the sound I needed. The OBP1 is boost only so It works well with a Vintage tone control ( read treble cut) especially with the UltraJazz's. I say..start with the pre, and then go to the PUPs. OBP1's can be had used for under $80 bucks many times. Got mine on ebay for $72, and workd great throught the sadowsky stacked POT. Even put a Marcus Logo on it.

Take a look.......

Attached Files:

14. cdginger

cdginger

Ok, thanks for the advice. I think i'll probly do that because i bought both of the basses at the same time and money really isnt an issue so probably in a month or two i'll take it over to jives shop and see what he can do. But heres what i was kind of thinking:

Squier Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz Bass
    LeoQuan Badass Bass Bridge II
    Fender Noiseless J Bass 2-Pickup Set
    Audere JZ3 Bass Preamp

And

Squier Deluxe Active Jazz Bass V 5-String
    LeoQuan Badass Bass Bridge V
    Basslines SJ5-3S Quarter Pounder Jazz Bass Set
    Audere 3ZB Bass Preamp

In my head this all worked out, but if something pops out at you that i should change or wont work, or any suggestions just let me know.
  15. cdginger

cdginger

MAN! That Looks So Fresh!
  16. PilbaraBass

PilbaraBass

Zombie thread, I know...
    Just wanted to know if anyone has done anything to their deluxes lately?
    I recently installed the Glockenklang 2-band and put a series/parallel switch in where the slap switch was.
    The stock pickups sound really good to me, so they’re staying.
    Love the glock preamp... it is truly transparent... the stock pickup coloured the tone quite a bit and compressed the sound.
  17. dausualsuspact

dausualsuspact

This is what I'm thinking of doing, except installing DiMarzio Area J pickups. Is there a difference between the Ultra Jazz and the Area J pickups?
  18. PilbaraBass

PilbaraBass

I did the glockenklang 2-band preamp mod, and I like the result ... it's not a huge change...preamp changes seldom are... i also added a series mod on the pickups, which gives me a different tone for my use... a thicker low-mid-focused tone

Yes, there are differences between the Ultra-J and the Area-J.

The Area-J is voiced for a more polite, more balanced tone. Great for all around.

The Ultra-J is voiced for a bit more low-end "oomph" and is slightly scooped in tone to give you a great funk tone.

But the differences aren't huge from the samples that I've been able to scrounge around and hear.
  19. rojo412

rojo412 You're entering a world of bass... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    I've had 4 of these and mod'd all of them.
    It's a great platform for mods, as it takes a ton of different stuff, easily.

If anyone ever has questions, I'd be happy to answer them, just PM.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Currently have the white one, but I'm not keeping it ;)
  20. bassbenj

bassbenj

Sure I've got a question! Why are you getting rid of that white one? It's the one with "the look" for sure! Cripes the burst doesn't even have a tort pickguard. You trying to get your TB license revoked or something? :bag: