1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help with strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by madbassplaya, Apr 20, 2013.

1. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

Thinking about going with steels. Want something more ballsy and authoritative tone wise. Prefer something with a tapered B.

Specs of bass:
    35 inch scale
    Alder body
    Maple/Maple neck

[​IMG]
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

You know I'm all about some DR FatBeams :)
  3. madbassplaya

I'm considering those. :)

Also considering D'Addario Pro Steels and Sadowsky Blue Steels.
  4. Mikhail1

Mikhail1

I've been thinking about steels for my j bass as well and thinking seriously about Ernie Balls. I remember reading that they do well and seem to last longer than nickels but in all fairness, I like Slinky nickels just fine. Just wanting to experiment I guess.
  5. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

In my experience the FatBeams are much bigger sounding and have more low end than the ProSteels.
  6. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

7. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

lol

That's a good one.

I vote for Fat Beams. Or the Fodera SS, especially if you want a solid tapered B string.
  8. madbassplaya

I really find it weird to use Ken Smith, Fodera or even Sadowsky on a bass of a different brand. lol

:bag:
  9. rojo412

rojo412 You're entering a world of bass... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    When I think ballsy strings, the one that comes to mind is ROTOSOUND. A lot of aggression in those.
    Prosteels are nice, too. I like those second to Smith in the terms of just flat out good strings.
  10. madbassplaya

I really do enjoy a tapered B.

May need to try the Smiths.

D'addario and Labella are on the list.
  11. MostlyBass

I found both Rotosound and ProSteels to be thinner than FatBeams. Fodera Diamonds are very similar to FatBeams but a little more even sounding (Foderas have a touch more mids).
  12. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Supporting Member

13. MostlyBass

I've had too many issues with Circle Ks having intonation issues and fuzzy sound. If they're good, they're nice strings.
  14. madbassplaya

Do you mean thinner in tone?
  15. MostlyBass

Yes. Thinner in tone. Much thinner.
  16. Solarmist

Solarmist 15 miles from Mt Rainier Supporting Member

I really like Prosteels (EPS 165) + 130TW single. They're nice & bright with deep tight lows, and the price is right.
  17. MostlyBass

I found the ProSteel B string to be amazing in clarity, intonation, and feel. However I felt the other ProSteels were thin sounding and lifeless.
  18. madbassplaya

What gauges were the other?

What bass is this on?

What brand did you find to have a good B and the other strings to sound good as well?
  19. MostlyBass

All were either medium (45 - 295) or light 40 - 100) on a Carvin Icon. Best overall? Probably FatBeams or Foderas for a thick sound and (surprisingly) I really like Dean Markley SolidBass for a very neutral and even sound.
  20. Jkaz

Jkaz Supporting Member

You might want to try TI SuperAlloys, I put some on my Lakland Jazz, and it is by far the liveliest sound that I have out of all my basses. I think its a perfect fit for the jazz.

Reasonably priced for TI's, at the mid $30 range.

The sound is very bright, punchy, aggressive. I had Black Bueaty's on before, and the sound is night and day. Not that the BB's had a bad sound, just different.

I was typing this with my ric in my lap, and I switched over to the Jazz, just to make sure I wasn't dreaming this stuff up, and sure enough, the ric sounds subdued and mellow, whereas the jazz is punchy and vibrant. The ric has DR stainless steel Low Riders, but that's a ric for you. I'm not complaining, I like the sound of both basses, it gives me the versatility I'm looking for.