HELP with Zoom B2.1u

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hekbass, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Hekbass

Hekbass

I'm no gearhead. I'm technology-challenged.

I had a patch set for clean, and other patches with distortion, etc. But, I was unhappy with the clean patch, and editing didn't help. So, I did a reset. The unit's back to the factory defaults.

As it turns out, it looks like there's not ONE patch that's clean!!
    Out of 36 patches, not a single one's clean. It's either distorted, or with octavers, chorus, etc.

I have the original owner's manual, but it didn't quite help.

I need at least ONE clean patch.

B2.1u <- link to pedal page.

Thanks.

2. ksandvik

ksandvik

The manual should have instructions how to reset everything to zero with no effects at all, trying to remember it, I think you flip the effect knob to various states and push the left stomp button on the bottom or something like that to de-select the effect for that effect range. Then you could start from that and activate effects and see how they sound like.

3. Hekbass

Hekbass

Thanks, man. I did that, and it does read "oF" on the display. But the distortion remains, even after I hit "store" - which is what the instructions say to do to save your changes. Damnit.

4. ksandvik

ksandvik

Hmm, that should not be the case. How is the B2 wired to your amp? Maybe gain from a wrong impedance? Do you get distortion if you test the patch with your headphones as well?

You could make a B2 patch squeaky clean, that's not a problem.

PS: There's a 10% chance that the patches can't be saved of some reason like an internal battery worn out or something similar...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassbrad

bassbrad

Hey Hekbass, There is no "Clean" preset included in the factory settings but it is pretty easy to create a "clean" or neutral patch for your user banks - you just go into the edit mode and turn each module off.
    I have my clean patches for all the 0s and 1s are my tone preset, essentially a tuned bassman patch then build sounds from those presets.
    There are lots of user patches at the link below and be sure to check out my cheat sheet for the Zoom B2/B2.1u.
    Be sure to join the Zoom Club if you have not already.

.: Guitar effect patches for zoom B2 and B2.1u :.

7. Hekbass

Hekbass

Some patches sound clean through headphones.
    The unit is hooked up with Planet Waves instrument cables - both from the bass to the unit, and from there to the amp. That's pretty much the only option. The other output is a BAL out for mixing boards.

Is my pedal defective? I hope not. That would SUCK. Got a show at the end of the month. The first one in a LONG time. *sigh*

8. Hekbass

Hekbass

The bass sounds great when plugged straight into the amp, which is a GK MB210. Clean, deep, and nice. I'll try replacing the batteries on my bass.

9. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

If your zoom sounds clean through headphones, then it probably isn't defective. Something else is causing the distortion. Here's a few things that come to mind:
    --Zoom's overall output, patch level, or patch gain level is set too high.
    --bad cable or battery in bass pre-amp going dead.