1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help would be appreciated

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassThumper23, Nov 24, 2012.

1. BassThumper23

BassThumper23

Hello fellow bassist,

I am new to talk bass and I came looking for help,I have become increasingly interested in Jazz Bass and I would like to ask you fellow members to share some helpful links exercises or anything really,Specific Shapes to use,I'd Really like to learn more about this.

-BassThumper.
  2. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Learning jazz bass requires a significant level of dedication. My approach was to abandon everything else in music except for my newly-acquired double bass, a couple of large books of standards and a bunch of CDs by Sinatra, Miles Davis, Bill Evans, Mingus, Monk, Coltrane, Duke, ad nauseum.

The key is to learn to read changes and compose lines from them. Jazz has a great deal of b5ths, diminished chords, altered chord extensions and other sorts of chords you don't typically see in rock and roll or ordinary popular music.

I was lucky - I had 15 years of musical background when I dug into jazz. If you can afford it, get a teacher who knows the genre and buy some CDs that you like in the genre. Jazz is a big field, so post some thoughts about just what type of jazz you mean:

Be-bop (Charlie Parker; Dizzy Gillespie)
    Big Band (Count Basie; Duke Ellington)
    Hard Bop (Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers; Mingus)
    Cool Jazz (Miles Davis; west coast groups like Shelley Manne and his Men)
    Fusion (Again, Miles Davis; Frank Zappa (!))
    Modern Jazz (the Marsalis brothers; Christian McBride)
    Dixieland (early Louis Armstrong; Preservation Hall Jazz Band)
    Free Jazz (Ornette Coleman, Art Ensemble of Chicago)
    Out there jazz (my term) (Sun Ra and his Arkestra)
    Smooth Jazz (ask someone else) :spit:
    etc.

Go to youtube and search on some of these names to get an idea of each genre.
  3. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

You Tube is loaded to the gills with instructional videos.

There are also sections here on the forum that offer lots of information.