Help!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by lavaxtris, Aug 19, 2013.

1. lavaxtris

lavaxtris

what kind of mess are we in now? Ill tell.

last practice our drummer shows up and tells us he wants to talk about stuff. so after playing around a bit we go into the next room and he tells us how he thinks the music is "SO GOOD" and how he would like to go into music for a living.
    This is completely surprising to us, since his excitement about the band has been all over the place, and he can only make sunday practice because he has two part time jobs.

now, a while ago our guitarist's dad has offered putting money into us (about 10,000+ just to start) in getting us some recordings and show deals where we can make some money. HOWEVER we never got to actually doing this because our drummer has this horrible schedule.

so at practice our drummer was like... "yeah I think we could get somewhere but we need a frontman" and brings up this whole scheme of getting a new lead singer. now, our current lead singer/guitarist is not fond of this idea and would rather sing everything himself, and keep the band a trio. people say he lacks certain qualities of a frontman. Im more worried about his lead guitar playing.

being my band and all, I could probably shoot down any of their crazy ideas but at the risk of our drummer leaving (he's really good!) idk what to do. I rather not bring in a new member and I rather work with our current guitarist to get better at singing and playing. our drummer seems pretty intent on at least "trying out" having a new lead singer.

maybe ill just go along with it and give him the "hell no" after all the pointless auditions.

do we really need a new frontman/lead singer? or should our drummer just shutup and fix his stupid schedule?
    what do you guys think? heres a link to a live performance we did 2 weeks ago to base an opinion off of:
    http://theloneleads.bandcamp.com/

2. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

Media:
    So...

Your drummer is flaky, your guitarist/lead singer is both a poor frontman and lead guitarist, and you are wondering whether this is the band to try to 'make it' in?

Mmm.

3. lavaxtris

lavaxtris

This is the band I want to try and play weekly shows with.... I don't care if we "make it". Right now we are only playing shows every other month. I've seen worse bands get paid a lot for their shows all the time.

Do I think out guitarist is a bad musician/singer? I dont think hes a "God" at anything but I think he has potential. I just feel like we are being forced into decision where we could get better with time.

4. VeganThump

VeganThump

Two things. Firstly, if the guitarist/lead singer's dad is ready to invest $10k into the band, he would be the last guy in the band to piss off or slight in anyway. Second, you're not being forced into anything, you guys are a three piece band and two of the three pieces don't agree with getting a new front man, where's the problem? Just because the drummer is "really good" doesn't mean you should cater to his every word and deal with his flakiness.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sandman357

sandman357

Another option is to just bring in a lead guitar player. This would free up your front man to concentrate on singing and performing while playing a little rhythm guitar. He could also learn from the lead player and become a better guitarist. While he is learning, you would be the total package. It is important to have an entertaining front man. You will get hired based off of some recordings, but to be hired back you have to entertain the crowd. Good music should be enough, but the entertainment factor is just as important.

7. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

Save your friends dad the 10K. You might the best member of the band, after listening to the recordings. The bass player should never be the best member of the band, you need to find more talented guys to play with, it will raise your game.

You are a mostly original band that play 1 set in multi-band shows or do you play a whole night at a bar? I only ask because you say you want to make money.\

8. lavaxtris

lavaxtris

well last time we played with 2 other bands at a local venue and got about $40 out of it (one of the other bands didnt sell any tickets) our guitarist is only 19 or 20 so hes not exactly bar material yet. so I guess 1 set (30-60 min) in a multi-band show.

Dont need to make money, but it would be sure nice to get enough money to cover gas. I'm just in it to play, except we arent playing enough.

9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I agree about saving the $10K. It's pretty far fetched that you'd make that money back, and you'd always be indebted to whatever the guitarist & his father want. F that...

As for bass never being the best member, what about Rush? Alex and Neil certainly are no slouches (easily top 3 guitarist & drummer for me) but Geddy is incredible. On top of his AWESOME bass playing, he's also singing, playing keys, and playing bass pedals with his feet.

10. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    In Rush, the bass player is also the lead vocalist/frontman for the band.

That would be an exception to a rule I don't necessarily agree with.

There is nothing wrong with the bass player being the best musician in the band, as long as the bass player is a top notch musician.

If it's just because the other guys suck, well, then I agree.

11. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

thats the saddest opinion ive ever heard about bass players, and on a bass player forum. :rollno:

12. bluewine

bluewine Banned

To the OP, I am glad you referenced the general age range of the band.

You guys sound like your definitely could be at the paid gig-able bar band level.

You should keep working get 4 hours of material and ad some more popular covers.

I would not take 10k from anyone at this point. Maybe once your out there playing paid gigs every week take 4k and record a cd.

I also would re-think playing just for the sake of playing, if you really want to do this there should be a bigger picture if you want to move to the next level.

The "I just want to play" foundation is only going to keep you in the basement and away from paying gigs, IMO.

Blue

13. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

;)

:D

14. lavaxtris

lavaxtris

Just to clear things up: the 10k will be given to us gradually for whatever we need (shows, merch, etc). We will not have to pay the money back BUT he does get a cut of whatever we sell.

I'm just not sure that we are ready to do it because he says that if he schedules a show, then he expects us all to make it. That is where the drummer's 2 jobs get in the way. We are also practicing 1 day a week... sunday at 8pm, which is a horrible time. The dad says he wants us to practice at least 2 times a week and a show once a week. The drummer says he will rework his schedule if we get a frontman for the band so we can take this opportunity. The "frontman" (the guitarist) we have now doesnt want his singing job taken away from him. He isnt too exciting in stage but he gets the job done.

15. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    There have been a handful of "band parent" threads. Usually it's the singer's mom offering to fund the band and then basically to manage it.

I'd pass. This might lead to getting outvoted by the rest of the band, in which case I'd suggest offering to be part of the band but not to be part of the deal with the dad. My rule of thumb is to assume that the average band "investment" is a sunk cost.

I'd also pass on any band that practices twice a week.

16. IPYF

IPYF

Sounds like someone's trying to live vicariously through you and that's kinda yuk. If I were you I'd be fixing my eyes on a distant mountain and running for it at this point.

I can't stand the thought of it to be honest. You're one step away from being deep in someone's pocket, and in music the likelihood of ROI is exceptionally low, especially with modest, alternative originals. Someone else's family member is going to own you when you're conducting your hobby. I can't think of anything more repugnant.

Just don't. If you want to continue the band that's fine, but don't take money from anyone. What a horrid recipe for disaster.

17. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I haven’t listened to the recording - however, if your main concern is that you want to gig more and the drummer is the only or main thing holding up the works, the logical solution is to either replace the drummer or hire a substitute. Just start with that first - get the gigs, and don’t let the drummer derail your main goal. If you can already get some gigs as a 3 piece - get them, and later if you want/need better vox/gtr, do that too.

EDIT: OP: Take your share of the $10K and put your $3,333 in the bank, and show up to the pre-paid rehearsals - and as long as the dad keeps paying you, let him lead/manage the band.

18. lavaxtris

lavaxtris

apparently you didnt read anything that I posted about not owing back the money. and... did you just call our music "modest" and "alternative"? :scowl:

19. IPYF

IPYF

Don't be naive. This is the real world where you don't ever get something for nothing. 10000 dollars is a lot of dollars. Only the truly stupid throw that kind of money around without expecting a legitimate return. So this bloke is either bone stupid or he wants to use you to make money: A borderline impossible feat for a modest alternative band who play originals.

This guy has already seemingly made his investment conditional on a borderline oppressive rehearsal and gigging schedule, which even the better musician's around here would find prohibitive and challenging to maintain. When you don't get him a decent return, what's the next step? What if he decides you're impeding his return because you're not good enough or not working hard enough, or because your drummer is unreliable? You're about to become this guy's performing chimp.

I'm not trying to insult you, I'm being as realistic as I know how to be. I would hate to see you get burned, but if 10k is appealing enough to make you dance like a marionette then maybe you deserve to learn this particular lesson the hard way.

20. lavaxtris

lavaxtris

I dont get why you are calling us "alternative". Thats not our genre, so idk what you mean by that.
    Realistically, this guy is the guitarists dad. He has money lying around and wants to spend it on us. Hes not trying to invest. Hes trying to get us off our feet. If we start doing good, and make sales then he wants to get a bit back, but if we dont then we dont owe anything.

21. Lobomov

Lobomov

Why does it sting that someone calls you modest?

Do you consider yourself in possesion of killer chops, or what is it, that makes you non-modest?