1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by haleystrong30, Sep 16, 2013.

1. haleystrong30

haleystrong30

Hi, I've been playing bass for a few months now. A family friend was generous enough to give me his Fender Jazz Bass. I was wondering if you guys could tell me what it's worth?

It's a purple fretless Fender Jazz Bass. I looked up the meaning of the serial number, which is MN93+5 other numbers. I found out it was made in Mexico in 1999-2000. I have been looking all over the internet, looking for another purple, fretless Jazz Bass and can't find one! So I was wondering, is mine valuable? Thanks, if you can help me out. :D

Haley

2. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

It's a great bass for you to play, and worth every penny of what you paid for it. Is it valuable? "Valuable" is a relative term, but in my opinion, it IS.

3. BassTapp

BassTapp

It's not worthless by any means, purple is an uncommon colour too so extra novelty points there!

4. DigitalMan

DigitalMan

If someone gave it to you to support your budding career as a bass player, then it's resale value is the very last thing in the world you should be thinking about.

It has greater personal value than market value, which is as it should be.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Wallace320

Wallace320

That's why first basses (guitars and so on) tend to have little resale value but, if they're worth the effort, can be tweaked as passion and competence go on, diggin' niche in someone's personal roster/collection

Some basses are really poor, 'cause in the very beginnin' none knows if you or the person to whom the present is destined are goin' anywhere in learnin' all about the instrument... So those pieces have no price per se, anyway is cool never sellin' your very first instrument for its inner sentimental value

You're lucky, OP, for yours it's already a very good starter

Cheers,
    Wallace

7. Hahaha

Hahaha

I have a MIM "purple" fretless Jazzbass that was made around the same year as yours. I can't remember off hand what that color was called, but it's basically a dark purple and was a standard color for that time period. Mine has a white pickguard. They're not rare. I've seen them on eBay a number of times. I paid $300 for mine on eBay in new condition with a new gig bag & strap. Fretless basses often sell for a bit less than fretted basses.

8. Hahaha

Hahaha

I just looked on eBay and there is one just like mine with a Buy It Now price of $400 with four offers (obviously for less). The auction ends on the 18th so as long as it's still there you could go look and see if it matches the color of yours. It's on the first page of listings under Fender Fretless Jazzbass. I have no affiliation with that auction, I just stumbled across it while trying to find what that color was called. The one I'm referring to is sitting in a red chair on a porch. That was a standard, common color.