1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BaitPhish, Dec 3, 2013.

1. BaitPhish

BaitPhish

I have a peavy millennium, bxp 5-string. I've been having many, many, issues with it lately. First off, I'm going to be buying s new bass soon, so I dont want to put too much money into it. I have already gotten the input jack replaced because I was having problems with messed up sounds coming out. It had a nasty garbage plastoc one in it. Now its got a nice metal input. Then I got a new pot put in for my pickup fader as the old pot was just too far gone and couldn't be fixed.

Inside of this bass is a big circuit board. In which I really despise the fact that peavey did that. Sounds like something apple would do just to get more money (sorry Apple fans!) This means I have to get certain pots for the model and everything (ugh!).

My problem is, I'm having really bad volume swells. It only happens when the bass is tipped. I'm thinking about getting a whole new preamp put into it. But I'm not sure what to go with, I don't care for this bass, but if I got a new preamp that made it sound better I'd probably like it a lot. Oh and by the way, it isn't my amp or cord as I have already tried like 8 cords and 4 amps. And its not the outlet I'm plugging it into as I've tried many, and I have put new batterys in because it is equipped with active pickups. Please help soon because I have a gig on Friday that I would like to use my bass at. If all fails for friday I fo have my guitar players 5 string I can use for backup. Thank you guys and girls!
  2. JustForSport

JustForSport

Could be a loose connection inside the elec cavity-
    try slightly/gently moving the wires while it's making a signal.
    Or, could be a slightly loose pot. Or intermittent ground.
    Seems like a mechanical (loose contact) than electrical (bad component).
  3. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    If you dislike this bass as much as it appears, why bother doing anything to it? Get the new one, and move on.
  4. BaitPhish

BaitPhish

That's what I was thinking sport, and jls, I'm not the one with the money, haha I'm only 16, my dad was going to buy me a new bass, and he said I need to get this one fixed for a backup too. Thats why haha. And I want to look into different basses a bit more and see what I like. I'm thinking a music man. But they are pretty expensive.
  5. BaitPhish

BaitPhish

Alright. I figured it out. It was my bass (low end filter) pot. Its broken. I'm taking it in. Thanks for the suggestions, they lead to me finding the problem! Thanks very much! Bringing it in today.
  6. eukatheude

eukatheude

What, putting circuitry into stuff?
  7. BaitPhish

BaitPhish

Yeah, the whole box of components which would normally be full of wires an a preamp and what not is full of a circuit board that all of the pots contact points are soldered directly into, along with the 1/4 female input jack. I guess the preamp is built directly into the board. I hate the whole idea of it and am thinking about just rebuilding all of it putting probably a bartaloni 5 knob preamp in it (volume, low, mid, high, and pickup fader) yeah, its sort of expensive, but it would sound better :)
  8. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Maybe, maybe not.

I don't get the feeling that you are particularly interested in the advice given here.
  9. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Just get that new bass, and if you want a musicman search used. I see used stingrays on GC's used site for between 750-900$.
  10. hsech

hsech I may be old, but I still have an opinion. Gold Supporting Member

+1
  11. bassbenj

bassbenj

Yes, I understand. My Fender Deluxe has some of that and the circuit board mount pots are a real pain in the butt to buy and install.

Glad you found the current problem with the bass. But I wouldn't chuck that bass just yet. A Peavey Millenium is a great bass as a modding platform. There should be a LOT of potential here to create a truly excellent bass. A three band (bass, treble, mid) Bartolini preamp (or other brand) might be a kick butt addition to that bass. I LOVE a mid control which gives a much bigger range to tone. And if as your dad says, it's going to be a "backup" bass, there isn't so much pressure to get a big job like rewiring done in a hurry and lots of reasons to make it just the way you want it.

If that were my Peavey I'd be thinking seriously about changing what I didn't like about it rather than just getting rid of it. Which I guess in your case is the electronics.

Hint: if you rip out the circuit board and pots to rewire, keep it in a box somewhere so when that bass becomes valuable "vintage" you could still put it back original if you had to.
  12. BaitPhish

BaitPhish

Yeah, I like the bass, quite a bit actually like feel wise. And the tone isn't bad, but I feel like if I did put a new preamp in such as the bartiloni I would love the thing. Haha I'm not planning on getting rid of it like ever. I do like the bass, its just been a real pain in the arse lately