1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by CrossRO, Dec 5, 2013.

1. CrossRO

CrossRO

Hello.
    I am a new bass player and recently i just bought my first bass an RockBass Streamer 4(one piece bridge version)and I want to buy an amp.I have like 120$ for it but I live in Romania so prices are preety different but i looked at some amps but i dont know which one to take.I am using the amp for study and home practice.In the near future i will probably use it for small rehershall with a band.I will play mainly rock and probably metal.
    Laney RB1(the old version without angled back)
    Ibanez SW15
    Warwick Blue Cab 15.1
    Ibanez IBZ10B
    Harley Benton HB-20B
    Behringer BT108 Ultrabass
    Thanks in advance.
  2. CrossRO

CrossRO

And also how are soundkings amps
  3. JACink

JACink

I can only comment on two out of that list, and that is the Harley Benton and Behringer.

The HB-20B I got with my first bass, many moons ago, and although it is still alive, I wouldn't reccomend it for rehearsal. It is quite small, not very loud, and very thin sounding.

As for the Behringer, a friend of mine has two of the ultrabass series (although I am not sure of the models, one is small and the other large), and I think that both sound pretty awful (IMO, YMMV etc.)

Seeing the combos you are stating, I am guessing that you have been looking at Thomann.de? If so, and you can stretch your budget to around 100 euros, the Harley Benton HBW80 is much better sounding, and may be able to serve you for rehearsal with a band (but don't expect miracles).

If you can go just a little further (less than 130) you can get an Ampeg BA108, a Fender Rumble 15 or a Marshall MB15. But none of these will be as loud as the Harley HBW80.
  4. CrossRO

CrossRO

Not onlu on thomann.co but there i can go only at 70eur because transport is 30.So IbanezSW15,Warwick Blu cab 15 or Laney RB1
  5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Any chance of finding something used locally? You're way better off and can get a much better amp for the same money if you can purchase used/local. Obviously, its not as glamorous, but at the same time if the choice is brand new tiny entry level practice amp or a used amp that you could actually use to practice AND play with others, I'd pick the second.
  6. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Do you have Peavey gear there - if so, look for a used Peavey TNT - although it may cost a little more than $120, but so may some of the other amps you listed.
  7. CrossRO

CrossRO

The only local amp i can found at the music shop is a the Laney RB1 at 90 eur and some kind of 5W amp at 40 eur but that its too small.Online from Romanian websites i can buy the ones listed above and a Cort GE15B a PEAVEY MAX 126 and a Peavey MAX 158 but its for now unavailable.
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

I feel like you should be able to do better than that. That's frustrating. 90E is way too much for a 15w practice amp.
  9. CrossRO

CrossRO

Yep they are way overpriced here sadly.So i think the main choices are the Laney RB1 or the Warwick BlueCab 15.1 so which one?
  10. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Save like mad until you absolutely need an amp to play with others. Meantime be on the lookout for something used.

The problem is guitars make a lot of noise with very little amp. Bass needs to move lots of air with lots of power pushing larger tougher speakers. Practice amps don't keep up with a 15w guitar amp.
  11. JACink

JACink

Could you maybe find some friends or other people that you know, that want some stuff from Thomanns? That way you could share the shipping price and go a little bit higher on your budget.

If you can get enough people together, spend more than 300 € and get free shpping, that way you could stretch to something like the HBW80 that I mentioned earlier.
  12. CrossRO

CrossRO

Sadly nope but i am looking for used ones but still no luck but how are the warwick blue 15.1 and the laney rb1
  13. JACink

JACink

I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no idea about the Warwick or the Laney.

Maybe check out some videos on Youtube to see if you can get an idea?
  14. CrossRO

CrossRO

Ok how is the Marshall MB15 because ive found one at 95 eur used but its almost new.