1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help!!!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ericdanger13, Jan 17, 2014.

1. ericdanger13

ericdanger13

Alright guys and girls here's a tricky one. I normally play a little mark 3
    head, an avatar 2x10 and a avatar 1x12. I love the sound but I got to play on an ampeg 8x10 and it was a huge difference. Not tone wise but how well I could hear myself. Now I want to know is if there is a way I can hear my self like an 8x10 without carrying/ buying one.

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Raise the cabs a foot and a half off the floor might help.

3. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

Those 8 10 cabs are 4 feet tall so what B said about getting your cabs up in the air is true ,it will help some.You will still be working with a lot less speaker area though so even in your ear it's not going to sound quite the same. I have 2 10 cabs , 2 15 cabs and until recently a 4 10 cab and even with the weight advantage I still always use my 8 10. It just sounds better than any of the other cabs and moves more air.(and yeah, I have raised them all up at one point or another.) Even with different amps , the 8 10 could be heard much better. Even with a fairly low power amp (100 watts) the 8 10 cut through better. My 2 15 cab is on pretty big castors and the top sits at 45" (just 3" shorter than the 8 10.) I have used the 2 15 and the 8 10 at practice with the same band and with the same head and had to run the amp quite a bit higher with the 2 15's to be heard. Getting the speakers higher will help but so does moving more air.:bassist:

4. shoot-r

shoot-r

Two Avatar 2-10 cabinets stacked as a vertical 410.
    Gets the top driver up near your ears just as a 8-10 cabinet does.
    It won't sound as HUGE as a 8-10, (your moving half the air/cone surface area with 4-10's as a 8-10), but it will allow you to hear it much better.
    Try stacking your 2-10 on top of your 1-12 in the "vertical", see what you think......

For the past 4 or so years my gigging set-up has been two, 2-10, Avatar Neo cabinets stacked as a vertical 410 driven with a old G.K.800RB, or a G.K. MB2-500, a Ampeg PF-500 for a "very" short time, or my recently aquired Hartke LH1000

5. Register to disable this ad