1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help!!!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ericdanger13, Jan 17, 2014.

1. ericdanger13

ericdanger13

Alright guys and girls here's a tricky one. I normally play a little mark 3
    head, an avatar 2x10 and a avatar 1x12. I love the sound but I got to play on an ampeg 8x10 and it was a huge difference. Not tone wise but how well I could hear myself. Now I want to know is if there is a way I can hear my self like an 8x10 without carrying/ buying one.
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Raise the cabs a foot and a half off the floor might help.
  3. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

Those 8 10 cabs are 4 feet tall so what B said about getting your cabs up in the air is true ,it will help some.You will still be working with a lot less speaker area though so even in your ear it's not going to sound quite the same. I have 2 10 cabs , 2 15 cabs and until recently a 4 10 cab and even with the weight advantage I still always use my 8 10. It just sounds better than any of the other cabs and moves more air.(and yeah, I have raised them all up at one point or another.) Even with different amps , the 8 10 could be heard much better. Even with a fairly low power amp (100 watts) the 8 10 cut through better. My 2 15 cab is on pretty big castors and the top sits at 45" (just 3" shorter than the 8 10.) I have used the 2 15 and the 8 10 at practice with the same band and with the same head and had to run the amp quite a bit higher with the 2 15's to be heard. Getting the speakers higher will help but so does moving more air.:bassist:
  4. shoot-r

shoot-r

Two Avatar 2-10 cabinets stacked as a vertical 410.
    Gets the top driver up near your ears just as a 8-10 cabinet does.
    It won't sound as HUGE as a 8-10, (your moving half the air/cone surface area with 4-10's as a 8-10), but it will allow you to hear it much better.
    Try stacking your 2-10 on top of your 1-12 in the "vertical", see what you think......

For the past 4 or so years my gigging set-up has been two, 2-10, Avatar Neo cabinets stacked as a vertical 410 driven with a old G.K.800RB, or a G.K. MB2-500, a Ampeg PF-500 for a "very" short time, or my recently aquired Hartke LH1000