1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

help?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Eswal, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Eswal

Eswal

Hi!
    Well I am playing on a Warwick Corvette std 4 and kinda want to start playing with a low B string. I play a half step down from EADG. D#G#C#F#

So what modifications do i need to do to be able to play with the low b? what gauges and how floppy will it be? Any other corvette players that have tried this?

Thanks in advance!

( I know that there is other threads like this but they still left me wondering :meh: )

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    You need to modify the nut. Once you do that you can run a larger string for B

3. knuckle_head

knuckle_head

Disclosures:
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    It doesn't have to be floppy at all.

4. Eswal

Eswal

Is this something i can do by myself or do i need to get a workshop to do it?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    you have to file it....I am sure you could find a youtube video on how to file a nut.

7. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

You probably have to fikle it but you might not have too. I set a bass up like this once and didn't have to, remember that once you file that but there is no going back

8. knuckle_head

knuckle_head

Disclosures:
    It may be worth it to you to take it to someone to have a new nut cut - this way you have the old one and can put the bass back if you find you want/need to.

9. Eswal

Eswal

Yeah i was thinking about this too.

ive heard that it could be floppy, and I suppose that it has to do with what kind of strings/gauges you use? In that case, any recommendations?

10. knuckle_head

knuckle_head

Disclosures:
    Gauge has the most profound effect on the floppiness of a B string - you'll want it in the .135 range if you like the tension of a .100 tuned to standard E. If a .105 is what you like at E then a .140 or .145 would be good for B.

My gauges would be .136 and .142

11. Eswal

Eswal

alright. Well i play with the .055 - .110 gauge... cant find a set with gauges above .135 anywhere. Ive looked everywhere but only thing i can find is up to .135 :meh:

12. knuckle_head

knuckle_head

Disclosures:
    Get singles, and put a .150 on bottom - they are rare but they're out there.

To my knowledge there are only two companies doing balanced tension on bottom and only one that goes as heavy as you do.

13. JustForSport

JustForSport

14. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

15. Eswal

Eswal

Alright thanks for the help everybody! :) looks like im going to order a single .150 from Circle K :)

16. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    you better order all the strings not just one if you are going to circleK...they are a bit different from regular strings.....they are great strings! but If you mix like d'addario with circleK I dunno how that would sound together!