1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Helped a brotha out today...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chadhargis, Dec 26, 2012.

1. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

I recently moved to the Shoals area in North Alabama down from Nashville. One thing I dearly miss about Nashville is the plethora of music stores. There is one decent music store I've found in the area, and they only have a handful of basses, but I like to pop in from time to time to see what they have.

Today I'm noodling around on some basses and a guy walks up and asks, "Do you play bass?". I told him I did and he asked "What would be a good starter bass for my girlfriend?". Not wanting to sour my relationship with the one and only decent music store within 120 miles of me, I did want to send him to the Talkbass classifieds, eBay, or Craigslist...plus...he wouldn't know what to look for anyway.

I showed him some of the new Squires they had in stock and a couple of Yamaha RBX basses, then asked him, "What's your budget?" He tells me about $300. Well, the Squires fall into that range, but wandered over the the used rack and took another peek. I am not a four string player, so I pretty much look at the headstock and if there aren't 5 pegs...I don't pay attention to it.

Hanging there on the used rack was a nice 80's model US Peavey Foundation with super ferrite pickups. Price tag said $117.

I plugged it in and played it. Very nice! Nice tone, pots weren't scratchy, neck was straight, tuners worked fine, no fret sprout, only a bit of fret wear, and what looked like a new set of D'Addario Nickel XL strings. The setup was pretty good and I whipped out my iPhone, fired up the Strobotune app and checked the intonation. The A string was a bit sharp, but not bad. Nothing anyone but a professional ear would ever notice.

Thanks to Talkbass, I knew the US Foundations were good basses and the super ferrite pickups were much loved. Hopefully I contributed to the beginning of another devoted fan of the low end. And I hope his girlfriend is hot and posts slutty pictures of herself with the bass. :D LOL!!
  2. Matt R.

Matt R. Supporting Member

I lived in the Shoals for many many years. In huntsville now
  3. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Good work!!
  4. mark beem

mark beem Supporting Member

Another Alabamite here.. Good call on the Foundation. Very underrated basses!
  5. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Very nice I did the same thing for two very nice older ladies looking for a bass for their grandson it's a good feeling the ladies came to me after the "guitar center dude" tried to sale them an American Standard for a kid just starting out?
  6. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

We can only hope! lol
  7. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

I really miss Nashville. I know the Shoals area is steeped in music as well, but I've only been here 3 months and haven't gotten plugged into the music scene yet.

I know there are plenty of Guitar Center haters out there, but the location in Nashville always had a killer selection of basses and some very nice used ones. I used to run over there during my lunch hour and browse around. Nearest location is in Huntsville, an hour or so away.