HELPPLEASEEE

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Krissfritz53, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Krissfritz53

Krissfritz53

Hey I'm Kristin, I started playing bass a few months ago and im realizing that its something i was born to do. My first bass is an ibanez gsr100, but i feel like i am advancing very quickly and i have no idea what to start looking at for me to play as i become more expirienced. I have until May to decide exactly what I want, but I was hoping that someone would be able to help me out and let me know a good bass that is a good step up from the gsr100 i am playing now! thank you all in advance!
  2. NightTripper

NightTripper

It really depends on what type of sound you want, what types of music you want to play, which scale length you want, neck finish, body style, budget, etc. The best thing to do is go to some music stores and try all kinds of basses and do plenty of research and then decide. There are plenty of websites that can be good resources too. Look around on the musician's friend website and see what might interest you. Youtube can be an ok resource for finding demos and reviews. And last, but not least, talkbass also helped me decide.
  3. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Disclosures:
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    Your best bet is to slow down and go play every single bass you can get your hands on. Go to local shops, ask to play friends basses etc. Pay attention to the weight, the neck, how well it stays in tune, does it inspire you?

Don't worry if this takes a few months. Meanwhile continue to learn on your Ibanez.
  4. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Unless your Ibanez is a piece of junk, I wouldn't be so quick to move on from it. At this point, the most important thing is how it feels to you. Comfort equals consistency. Worry about tone later. If the neck, strings, and action work for you on that Ibinez, then stay with it.

On the other hand, if the combination on another bass feels more like home to you, then make the switch. But everything else being equal, there's a lot to be said for sticking with one bass while you're learning.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

If you've only been playing a few months, the gsr100 should be fine. Even the low-end Ibanezes have nice necks. Honestly you'd have to be playing for a year or so to feel the difference in a more expensive bass. Good things to do would be to learn and practice setting up your bass for the most comfortable action, and get a good teacher to show you good technique so you don't slow yourself down or get an injury in the future.
  7. Wallace320

Wallace320

Dual passive humbucker with a two band active equalizer (with on/off switch if you forget your replacement 9v battery at home) mahogany body with abalone body binding and an astonishing wenge neck with rosewood 24 fret fingerboard
    View attachment 310381
    For way less than $. 350.00 you get an elegant and versatile bass

Cheers,
    Wallace
  8. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

I Agree with the other poster- if it's not a real POS, you're able to play without pain, your skills are advancing and it sounds good, I don't know why you have to get something else. If it's playable and sounds good, you already have a good start. Skill trumps equipment quality, every time.
  9. Muttleybass

Muttleybass

Unless it won't stay in tune or it sounds like crap, you should just keep it. Even the cheap SoundGears have pretty nice necks. Just keep playing, getting better and the knowledge will reveal itself. Eventually you're start trying other basses and your next bass will magically appear. The sky will open up, a beam of light will shine down and you'll hear angels sing... You'll know it when it happens.

I don't know what you have for an AMP, but that, to me, might be a more important area to spend your money on at this point. You should have something at least 100- 150 watts if you're going to play with a drummer some day.
  10. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

What is the maximum price you're planning to spend? Does it matter if it's new or used?
  11. KramerDon

KramerDon

Try as many different basses as you can when jamming with others,check them out in pawn shops and music stores.Ask other bassists what they like( but don't take for granted you will like the same thing).Don't get to "Wowwed"by the looks of a potential bass,looks don't always equate to quality! Most importantly don't be in a hurry,the last thing you want to do is spend your money on a new bass that you later regret buying.
    The others advice to stick with your bass for a while if it's in good playable condition is wise advice.
  12. skiptracer62

skiptracer62

I'll second the good amp comment. I have the gsr200 and it sounds better through a good amp. A great instrument through a bad/weak amp will sound terrible.

Changing strings and giving it a good setup helps a lot. I've got Flatwounds on mine and found the stock action too low for my liking.

A squire vintage modified or classic vibe series bass would be a big upgrade from the gsr. Quality instruments and they can easily be found in stores to try out.
  13. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

Why May? Is that the updated Mayan calendar end-of-the-world date?
  14. Gabeja15

Gabeja15

i'll give another vote for the better amp suggestion.

I started on a GSR200, and was set on buying another bass until i heard what the Ibanez sounded like through something other then a 10 watt combo.
  15. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

Your present bass will not hold you back for a long time, if ever. Certainly you could find one that you would like better though and I will let you in on a little secret: you cannot possibly hang out here until May without hearing of and seeing one all on your own, you don't need our help! In fact if you can hang out here until May without getting GAS for at least five new basses you are way better than most of us. But you have until May so keep reading here, cruise websites, and visit guitar stores as much as you can. You will find something you like.

Ken
  16. Kollektor

Kollektor

Agreed.
  17. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

The time to get a new bass is when you want to do something or have something you can't get from your current one. Maybe there's a tone you can't get out of it, or you've decided you'd like a different neck profile, or whatever. Don't buy a new bass just for the sake of buying a new bass. But do take the chance to hang around music stores and try out different basses, and see if anything "speaks" to you. What your budget will be matters too, of course.
  18. Notabunny

Notabunny

I'm new to bass. I've only been playing a few months. I started shopping in July or August because I like the way bass sounds in a lot of different kinds of music, and I didn't want to limit myself to just one or two styles. I chose an Ibanez SR300 and a Fender Bronco 40. The guys at Skip’s Music showed me I can get a very wide range of sounds with that combination, and I'll be able to explore a lot of different styles of music.
  19. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    I am in agreement, no need to rush into a new bass at all. While learning to do good setups yourself is a great skill, I would invest in a good professional set up too. Find a real luthier or highly skilled repair man - rather than just the tech at the local GC - and get a good medium-low setup to see how well your Ibanez can play.
  20. Krissfritz53

Krissfritz53

My birthday is in may :) so ill be gettimg it as part of my gift
  21. Immigrant

Immigrant

Get the best bass you can that fits in your budget. A lot of folks have told you to wait, and that goes against the majority of what you read everywhere else here on this forum. You're supposed to get as many basses as your budget (barely) allows.:p

I recommend the new Ibanez ATK-805. That's not easy for me to say, because I don't really care for Ibbys nor have I ever owned an ATK series anything, but that 805 is one bada$$ looking bass.

And you need five strings.:D