Hepitatas C

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Nov 7, 2012.

1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

Five years ago my brother-in-law died of liver failure. He had cancer and was not eligible for a transplant. My wife had just lost her father and was a basket case and I was unemployed so I was very involved in his health care including hospice care.
    We have a neighbor with the same issue only he has blood type AB and the doctors are having a hard time finding him a liver because of his rare blood type.
    My wife saw him this morning and overnight his stomach had swollen up from water retention. That is not good news, it means he is getting near the end if he doesn't get a new liver soon. We love this guy so we forced him to call the doctor even though he didn't want to. I don't know if that was the right thing to do but is is what we did.
    We have been trying to help him out for some time but he will only except a little help from us. When he got sick his wife left him with his two daughters, cleaned out the bank account and went back to Europe. I don't have a problem being chauffer,cook, friend or anything else he needs but he has a hard time accepting help. I just hope the doctors find him a liver real soon.
  2. bobba66

bobba66

Disclosures:
    I'm just glad I have a job.
    Scary stuff. I went through Rebetron therapy back in 2001. So far, so good. Good luck to your friend.
  3. slobake

I'm glad the treatment worked for you. :hyper: I know it can be rough going through it.
    With my backround I feel called to help addicts and recoveriing addicts and I have seen way too much of this stuff. If you are thinking about trying out I.V. recreational drugs. DON'T
  4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
    Word.A friend contacted C from the first and only time he shot dope, a guy who never even touched the green. Sad.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Hepi TATAS C? I thought I was getting thread about C cup boobs, but I have been disappointed :(
  7. slobake

Yes it's just bad news all around. A lot of the people I used to run with are long dead. It's now coming back to haunt some of us who survived with serious health problems 20-30 years later.
  8. slobake

Sorry bro, but thanks for the chuckle, I can always use one of those.:)
  9. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

I glossed over your post and am feeling like I may have been insensitive.

Its just when I see the Slobake name, I think there is a good time ahead...my apologies broseph.
  10. slobake

No you're good, no apologies necessary, I actually did chuckle when I read your post. Now if you were Matticus or someone that would be different :bag: :p

Thanks for the compliment too.
  11. slobake

Just talked to mon Ami (he's French) he has an appointment tomorrow :hyper: but he won't let me drive him there :(. Maybe when they see him it will bump him up on the list for a liver. I don't know how that all works. He said he is on a regional list, is there such a thing as a national list?
    Anyway, he was happy with the pumpkin pie and whipped cream we made for him.
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Great advice. Better lump alcohol in there, too. A family member is on the liver transplant list after pickling his liver with alcohol for years. Compound that with hepatic osteopenia, so he has frequent broken bones.
  13. BassDoc51

BassDoc51

I'm currently dealing with some liver issues myself. Something is not working and it's forcing blood to backflow into my spleen, causing it to be enlarged. I've been in chronic pain for 7 months. I finally have an appointment with a hepatologist at Mayo Clinic on 11/14. That day can't get here soon enough.
  14. Corbeau

Corbeau

Liver issues are bad. My mum's former boss/friend died of liver cancer, as did her dad and her cousin. It seems to be prevalent in Asians for some reason. Anyways, I hope your friend gets a liver transplant. It's one of those illnesses where it can really mess you up.
  15. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

My aunt died of cirrhosis of the liver a few years ago. She was my only aunt, and I was close to her and my cousins, but she had a lot of things haunting her from the past, and she couldn't live with the guilt. She had been drinking a while but she moved to Florida, where my grandma is, and got into drinking really heavily. Then came the drug use. I never even got to see her again after she moved, and there was no funeral.

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, slobake. You and your wife are doing a good thing by helping him out as much as possible, and just being great friends. Hopefully the doctor can give him some options, and things will start to get better.
  16. slobake

Sorry to hear this BassDoc, I hear the Mayo clinic is a great organization (accidental pun) :bag: There are some new treatments that seem more successful than Interferon. In the meantime if you haven't already get some info about your diet and what stresses your liver and what doesn't. There are also homeopathic treatments. I remember a friend taking something made of dandelions it always made me think of Kurt Vonnegut. Is it okay if I pray for you? Let us know how things turn out.
  17. slobake

Thanks everyone for your good wishes and encouragement.
  18. Unprofessional

Unprofessional Supporting Member

Slobake,

You and your wife are saints and I tip my hat to the both of you with much respect.
  19. slobake

The doctors told mon ami that his medication was causing him to retain water. They have changed his meds (he takes quite a few) and he is waiting to see if things improve. I'm hoping and praying for the best for him.
  20. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

My cousin died from liver failure a short time after getting his transplant. He was one hell of a guitar player, and a terrific wood worker. He made lots of fancy stair cases for the stars in LA. He also liked Jack Daniels. A lot.

I wish your Ami the best of luck.
  21. slobake

Thanks Phalex, sorry about your cousin. Don't remind me about Jack, it's been 31 years and I can still taste it. I loved Jack at least I think I did. Too bad it turned me into such an a******
    :rollno: :cool: