Hercules Stands GS402B Mini Electric Guitar and Bass Guitar Stand

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassman_al, Dec 15, 2012.

1. bassman_al

bassman_al Supporting Member

I found some info on this stand here, but I figured a dedicated thread would get more on this stand. I ordered one since I had a coupon to burn at MF. So who out there uses this stand for gigs? Share you experiences with this stand, please. Thanks guys!

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

I know someone who uses these. I would not, personally, use one for any of my basses, I'd worry about the bass falling backwards as the instruments leans WAY back on them.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

Media:
    Had one- not good for asymmetrical-bodied basses (Jazzes, etc). Went back to my standard Hercules stands with neck holders.

4. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

I use that stand somewhat regularly, because it fits in the front pocket of my gig bag along with other gig stuff. Your bass leans back farther than with regular stands, but I've never had any problems with stability. My issue is that it seems designed mainly with Pbass shaped bodies in mind, as Bryan mentioned. I have to slide my Jazz bass off to the side a bit for it to hold it straight up. Still works though.

I also prefer my neck-hanging Hercules stand.

5sg.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassman_al

Thanks guys! Good info! Any other experiences out there?

7. bassman_al

Hmmm... Seems like I might not like this. I shouldn't have ordered 2! I could return them and get the one of the bigger models instead... I mostly play jazz basses.

8. fivestringgecko

The Mini stand still works for a Jazz bass, you just have to sit it in there a little differently than a "regular" (read: Precision) shaped body.

Would I buy another Mini stand? Probably not. But I still use it, because it travels nice. I much prefer my larger Hercules stand. Unfortunately, it just fits my 5-string basses... the neck on my 6-string Stambaugh is too wide to fit in the hanger, so it's a little of a catch 22. But then again, the neck on my 6'er barely fits in a regular guitar stand. lol

5sg.

The Jazz bass in the Hercules Mini. It sits a couple inches off center, but still sits pretty solid on the stand.
    [​IMG]

A Precision for reference, nicely centered.
    [​IMG]

9. bassman_al

Thanks Gecko!!! Nice of you to take the time to post photos! Looks gone to me and doesn't look like they lean back too far as some have said!

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

I love the mini stand. Very stable. I use it at all of my gigs, never had a problem. Fits nicely in a bag.

I also have the hanging style. I don't like how they put all the pressure on the headstock. I had a chip come off from the hanging stand. However, this was with a fotoflame bass.

11. bassman_al

Thanks Sean! Makes me feel better. I'm a geezer doing jazz and weddings, so the stand won't have to deal with stage-diving but I also don't want to be worried about the slightest knock causing a crash..,

12. fivestringgecko

Absolutely. I never mind talking about the gear I have when it helps a brother out. :) Here's a couple more shots just for kicks... I'm bored and antsy on a Sunday night. lol

Pic #1: obviously a comparison of stands and tilt degrees. A standard tubular stand/Jazz bass, the Hercules mini/Pbass and the Hercules hanger stand/Warmoth Gecko. The mini stand *does* have a pretty good tilt to it, but it doesn't feel unstable.

Pic #2: The Jazz bass on the Hercules hanger, for comparison with the previously posted Jazz/mini pic.

Pic #3: the three stands all folded up. The Hercules mini stand measures a mere 11" in length, compared to the 29" of the Hercules hanger stand.

Not that anyone asked. Like I said, I'm a little bored. :meh:

5sg.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

The problem I have with the mini stand is that the part that catches the front of the bass interferes with a cable inserted in the input jack. You can see what I mean if you look closely at the picture of the precision. Looks like the jazz does not have this problem.

14. fivestringgecko

I won't argue that, it gets tricky at times, for sure. I use cables with right angle jacks and you can just wangle it though, there's actually a little bit of space for the bass to move back in the saddles. Most of the time I just unplug when I use that stand though. :)

5sg.

15. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

It does slightly. Not enough to be a real problem though. I always leave the cable plugged in with wireless or without.

16. bassman_al

Sean, 5SG, thanks so much again for the input! Really helpful. I do a lot of jazz gigs, and some weddings and private parties, so I end up lugging gear around. I recently picked up a nice cart to pull everything around. I had a homemade dolly that I built. It worked ok, but the bungee required bungee routine was getting old. The cart only requires 2 bungees and is much easier to use than the dolly. The cart highlighted how awkward my current guitar stand is, however, and which got me thinking how nice it would be to have a guitar stand (or two!) that would fold up as nicely as my music stand does...

I am looking to make life easier with the smaller stand, and will be moving from this:

[​IMG]

So thanks again for all the input. I guess guitar stands are like anything else, everyone has an opinion on which are best. That hanging-neck Herc seems so pricey at $50, but maybe that will be my best option. I can always return the 2 small ones, get one hang-neck and keep using the On-Stage one since it does work fine and has been reliable for years...

17. fivestringgecko

Hey man, "if it ain't broke," right? ;)

The price on the Hercules hanger stand hung me up (pardon the pun HA! lol) for a while too, but I finally broke down and splurged. It's worth the money IMO, because it can hang any bass (well, okay... aside from my airport runway of a 6-string lol) and is definitely the most stable of the stands I own. That said, I ordered the mini stand at the same time, and obviously kept both. Like you said, it really does come down to a matter of preference.

As far as making gear schleping easier, I've entertained the idea of a cart for a while. Gruv Gear makes a pretty slick little "transformer" cart that looks like it'd be really handy, the V-Cart Solo. It's a little spendy, but like the guitar stands, I've learned that spending a little more on tools isn't necessarily a bad thing. But... maybe I could find something similar at Home Depot. lol

5sg.

18. bassman_al

19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

Media:
    That's the cart (the Gruv Gear) I'm looking at getting right now. I hurt my back again lugging gear at our two gigs last Friday, and want to invest in a nice cart.

20. fivestringgecko

21. bassman_al

Yeah, it was. Great cart! I love mine.