1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

"Here Comes the Sun" on the banjo bass. Feedback and criticisms welcome!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by banjobass magoo, Jul 19, 2011.

1. banjobass magoo

banjobass magoo

2. BKBassDude

BKBassDude

That was awesome!

If I had to find a criticism it would be it was a bit muddy at times on some of the more complex chord forms, but it's a live recording, I don't expect perfection! Still, damn impressed!

Is that a production model banjo bass and what type of strings are on it? What tuning did you use/normally use?
  3. banjobass magoo

banjobass magoo

Gold Tone bass banjo (not sure if they still make them). Roundwound bass strings .45 - .100. Thanks for listening!
  4. banjobass magoo

banjobass magoo

5. 5StringBlues

5StringBlues

Good stuff! Thanks for posting.
  6. AlvarHanso

AlvarHanso

That's crazy! Thanks for sharing!
  7. banjobass magoo

banjobass magoo

Thanks for all the feedback and kind words. This stuff CAN be played on a regular bass guitar (bass banjo has more "shock' value, I guess). Hoping to put up more vids with bass guitar soon. Thanks for listening!
  8. nashvillebass

nashvillebass

Great job. I want a banjo bass! :cool:
  9. s_mcsleazy

s_mcsleazy

i think its awesome but i think you should have played somthing no one would ever expect to hear coming from that. like this song.

just me
  10. banjobass magoo

banjobass magoo

Hey, s mcsleazy, this link doesn't work for me. Can you give me an idea of what you are talking about?
  11. Handyman

Handyman Supporting Member

Wow, I've never seen a banjo bass before. That's incredibly cool. Can you explain your right hand technique a bit? It looks a bit different than what I on a plain old bass guitar. Are you simply trying to keep your hand from damping the head?
  12. ric3xrt

ric3xrt

Gold Tone, wow I didn't think any one else had one..LOL
    Sounded great, if I were to pick on it , I'd comment on the freting in the early part but the rest was just fantastic.
  13. banjobass magoo

banjobass magoo

What I'm doing (or trying to do) with the right hand is a Victor Wooten technique (thumb down, thumb up, index, middle). I'm combining groups of 2 (thumb down thumb up, or T V), 3 (T V 1), and 4 (T V 1 2). If I can combine the groups effectively, it can create a continuous flow of scales, pentatonic ideas, and double stop ideas. Hope this helps, and thanks for the great comments. More vids on the way!
  14. TheCush

TheCush Supporting Member

That was really awesome. Doing the Victor style up/down strokes really gave it almost a clawhammer banjo feel/sound. Very impressive. Thanks for posting.
  15. afranks

afranks

Very nice job. Thanks for sharing.
  16. chief108

chief108

thnx...
    that was really awesome
  17. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    Moved to Recordings.