Here's what a real checkpoint looks like

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fhm555, Oct 26, 2013.

1. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

A while back we had some discussion about in country ICE checkpoints being real or not. I explained that at real checkpoints the officer would be in full tac gear with their M4 in a tactical sling and any hesitation would be met with a comply or else attitude.

I missed the uniform, but I got most of the rest of it right. Here's a photo of a checkpoint set up where cops were trying to flush out a gunman the other day.

See the difference between the pretend ICE checkpoints where they can only ask you to comply and a for real LE checkpoint where the full weight of law is right outside your car door?

I get the hardware, but trained on someone for no other reason than the had the bad luck to be in a certain area at a certain time. Too much for me.

Attached Files:

2. scottiwkt

scottiwkt Supporting Member

Ummm...so the paparazzi must have captured this "real" pic of Ryan Reynolds going through an ICE checkpoint? :rolleyes:
  3. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

No way that is real, can't just go pointing guns at people. Definitely can't have a "comply or else attitude" without probable cause or reasonable suspicion.
  4. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. scottiwkt

Interesting... I was convinced that this was a still shot from a movie. The guy in the car is an absolute dead-ringer for actor Ryan Reynolds!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. hbarcat

hbarcat

I had the misfortune of driving through an area late at night about 5 minutes after a gunman shot up a street and then took off in his car. Apparently I bore some kind of resemblance to the suspect so I got pulled over by a cop and a bunch of his buddies showed up in their cars and pointed their guns at me. I was ordered to keep my hands on top of the steering wheel as an officer came up to my door to question me. It took them about a minute to figure out that I wasn't the guy they were looking for and they all jumped back in their cars and took off.

Yeah, that was fun.
  8. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

That's not how cops "flush out" a gun man.
    Not going to go into specifics for officer safety reasons, but who knows what the details of that photo are from without a direct news article where it was obtained from.
  9. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

Your car, not you, was related to the APB.
  10. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

I think I recognize the guy at the passenger window from Team Dunkin Doughnuts.
  11. alembicguy

alembicguy Lone Wolf Miner Supporting Member

Is it me or does the cop on the passenger side look like John Candy?
  12. paste

paste Banned

I don't really know much about guns but why the heck is the officer using his assault rifle when he's got a freakin pistol on his belt? And why the heck is the gun pointed so close to the guy? If the guy was crazy and a bit trained, im sure he can disarm the officer quite easily at that range.
  13. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

This thread is so stupid
  14. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

In a gun culture, guns are going to get pointed at people.
  15. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

Finger OFF the trigger is most appropriate unless they have a reason to pull it.

It never ceases to amaze me how some beginners (at the range) think that a normal grip on a gun involves holding the index finger on the trigger ALL THE TIME!
  16. scottiwkt

Precisely the reason that I still think there is something wrong with this picture, along with the fact that the driver bears a striking resemblance to a well known actor. ;)

For the record, I 100% agree with the OP regarding the alarming militarization of civilian law enforcement. The methods and tactics of the military are NOT compatible with policing the population of a free republic and the military is prohibited by federal law from serving in a law enforcement capacity within the US for that reason. That hasn't prevented civilian law enforcement from militarizing themselves from within. Having worked in both military and civilian law enforcement, some of these disturbing trends are part of the reason that I have no desire to work in that field anymore.

I'm not trying to fault the OP here, either. It just wouldn't be the first time the media got something wrong. :D

Officers are universally trained to never approach a subject that closely, especially with a rifle, since it reduces the reactionary gap and allows the subject an opportunity to disarm the officer.

In a situation where covering a subject with a rifle as depicted is necessary, LE personnel would wait for more officers to arrive on scene before approaching the subject, if possible. If an approach was deemed necessary and another was present, as depicted, it would be conducted with a contact officer/cover officer tactic that is pretty much universally in use.

This sort of mistake is SUCH a blatant error, along with a couple of others, that it still makes me question the authenticity of the photo. Although I do understand the possibility of officer error in any situation, I don't think such fundamentals would be forgotten or tossed by the wayside in such an obviously serious situation. These are exactly the kinds of things that Hollywood tends to overlook.

I still think the pic is a still shot from a movie that was posted with the article, by error or maybe for dramatic effect? Who knows...I'm a Fox news fan, so something like that kind of surprises me with them, but I still make it a point not to trust ANY media these days! :D
  17. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

I'm no expert by any stretch, but I'd say the pic is authentic.
    Not directly related to the story in any way though.
    To me that looks like a pic or a caption from a training film about how NOT TO get Yourself and Your partner killed.

I wouldn't say overlook, their job is to manufacture entertainment.
    If these kinds of situations for example would be done by the book, the villain (or the innocent ;)) would never be able to do the daring stunts to escape for a while they do, plus how dramatic/entertaining would that scene there look if the officers were 10 meters away?
    And think of the camera angle to capture 'em all.

Regards
    Sam
  18. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium

... and the officer is wearing a California Highway Patrol uniform. What's the CHP doing conducting an ICE checkpoint?
  19. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

The picture does look staged.
  20. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Gun culture? :rolleyes:

Last week a meth head a mile or so down the road from me shot a couple cops. On my way out to work at 5AM, I was stopped ( along with every other car) and my truck was searched by armed, tactical response officers. When he came up to my window he had a gun in his hands and it was pointing at the ground. If his gun had been pointed at me, my response would have been the same. They are cops and for the most part they dislike killing innocent civilians.

Incidentally, they cornered the thug, who refused to put down the rifle he had when ordered to do so, and shot him to death. Which is exactly what he deserved.
  21. Immigrant

Immigrant

Dude looks more like Josh Brolin AS Ryan Reynolds than Ryan Reynolds.

That isn't really an ICE stop is it? I read the article (more like a blurb- and I can't believe I even clicked the link after seeing the source) and it said nothing about it being a routine ICE stop. He was a bad guy being chased for doing bad things. This doesn't appear to be like the thread a few weeks ago with people not complying with officer's requests in order to video it for YouTube.

A rubber bullet to the forehead would've also resolved the situation, but with the gun culture we have here, I'm glad coppers are armed to the teeth. Yes, he deserved it. Trying to shoot the victims in the trunk. Tsk!