Heritage 810 and NV412

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Wild Steve, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Wild Steve

Wild Steve

Picked up a Heritage 810 the other day and have been checking it out alongside the Bergantino NV412 (I sold my 610 recently). Pretty interesting. The 810 is much deeper than the 412, the Berg is all mid punch and bright attack. You might think the 810 was verging on boominess rather than depth unless you eq it properly - I think if you knock the bass down a tad and the mids up a bit it's terrific. The 412 is amazing for metal and anything that needs a real attacking, growling bass tone, the 810 is much smoother.
    These are my initial impressions anyway. The 810 certainly looks more impressive! I bet there's some who are cringing at the different coloured grills on the cab and SVT VR though! I kinda like the contrast, but I know will think that's heresy!
    Oh, and the 810 and 412 together is quite interesting, I'll be checking that out a bit further!
    Steve

Attached Files:

2. rogypop

rogypop

interesting comparison, thanks!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Actually, the two grill colors don't look as bad together as I originally thought it would. You might try getting hold of Ampeg and tell them your situation...they might be able to make you a grill for your VR with the Heritage cloth. Then again, they might not. But worth a shot!

4. Wild Steve

Wild Steve

"not as bad as I thought" - well that's a major endorsement as far as I'm concerned coming from you Jimmy! ;)
    I'll try to post a few sound clips soon contrasting the two.
    Steve

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. walkerci

walkerci

Interesting. My Berg NV412 has tons of low end.
    Might be because of my amps and/or how I EQ them though.

FWIW, that lots of low-mids, mids, and punch is exactly what is needed in a live band situation.

7. Wild Steve

Wild Steve

Agreed, rule number one is don't judge a sound in isolation - big mistake!
    Steve

8. Wild Steve

Wild Steve

Here are a couple of very brief sound clips to show how the 2 cabs differ. SVT VR, P Bass, set flat. Not trying to say one's better than the other, just posting in case the comparison is of use to anyone.
    Is it my imagination or is the 412 a bit louder? They were recorded at the same mic level and mic at the same distance.
    Steve

Attached Files:

• 810.mp3
      File size:
      175.9 KB
      Views:
    • 412.mp3
      File size:
      298.2 KB
      Views:
  9. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Your clips demonstrate the exact difference between the ampeg 8x10 and both the nv412/nv610. The 8x10 probably sounds nicer at home, smoother, more even, but the bergs tend to cut through a live mix better because of the mids. The ampeg has a clearer top end but, that usually gets lost live, where as mids cut through harder. Good comparison.

10. Wild Steve

Wild Steve

Couldn't agree more. The only thing I would say is that the NV610 and NV412 are a fair bit apart - the 610 is possibly a bit of a mid ground between the 810 and 412, the 412 is definitely more crisp.
    Steve

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Man, huge difference! The 810 is closer to my liking because of its gorgeous midbass and low mid, and I always add back whatever mids and highs I need with EQ. But I thought they both sound quite good, albeit different.

12. Tim1

Tim1

Surprised me that there were so many highs in the 412, more so than my old Berg 610 I think. Very helpful comparison thanks, Steve, as I had been considering the Berg 412. Sold my Berg 610 a while ago but the 215 is still the jewel in their crown for me, if you can find one. Heritage 810 has just moved up a couple of rungs on my bucket list.

13. kringle77

I just got to listen to the clips at home on better speakers. Yeah, I prefer the 8x10 in the clips. I've got to say though, it sounds like you have all the low end cut off in both clips. The nv610 has more low mid punch than either but the top end of neither.

14. Wild Steve

Wild Steve

Well it was just recorded exactly as it came out of the speakers, the mic was about 2ft away, amp set flat. Your point previously about how things change when in a band context is spot on though. Anyone who prefers the deeper more mellow sound from the 810 may well prefer the 412 with a band as that's probably what they'll get and may even feel it start to get a bit muddy with the 810. Although as Jimmy says there's plenty you can do with the eq - so much so that I'd be pretty confident that with a little twiddling I could get the cabs to sound virtually identical. What's certainly true is that the Berg is every bit as loud, which is pretty impressive. Looks a bit girly next the 810 though! ;)
    Steve

15. Wild Steve

Wild Steve

I know how much you guys like a picture - so here's my new backup head (TC BH250) on the 810 - looks right at home there!!!
    Steve

Attached Files:

16. kringle77

Nice. I see that you have a powered alto speaker in the picture. I was thinking about picking one up as a side fill for the people who sit way off to the side of the band and keep saying "we can't hear the vocals" How do you like it?

17. Wild Steve

Wild Steve

Only just picked up the Alto - hoping the pair of them would be good enough for small gigs without their own PA.
    Steve

18. Wild Steve

Wild Steve

Oh, and if anyone's interesting in a quick review of how the TC head compares to the SVT VR......it's not as good! ;) :D

19. Sartori

Sartori

The NV412 seems like it's way more prominent in the upper mids, which our ears are more sensitive to, thus making it seem louder.

20. kringle77

Yeah, thats pretty much it right there. Also, the nv610 and nv412 can take so much power! I got an 8x10 to start farting and the nv's didn't even sound stressed. Thats saying something. All 3 are great cabs. The tight compressed low end of the 610 with the top end of the 412 would be the perfect gig cab. The ampeg 8x10's do sound really good with some hp filtering and some upper mid boost.

21. oinkbanana

oinkbanana

how do they fair in a band setting?