1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Hero, anti-hero or non-hero?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Jan 3, 2014.

1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I like stories with a non-hero. Stories where the main strength of the main character is considered a weakness by many. Frodo in the Lord of The Rings is a classic example. Some others that come to mind are "The Sword of Shannara" and even "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"
    What a about you, what kind of main character do you like? I know sometimes it is not so black and white but you have to start somewhere.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I like stories where the human side of being super human is covered at great length. Spider Man is probably the most famous example I can think of. Sometimes being a super hero forces one to make really tough personal choices.
  3. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

I like Walter White
  4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

I can respect a good anti-hero. But while I know in real life that very few people can be black-and-white good or bad, I still really like a truly good protagonist. But I prefer chaotic good characters over lawful or neutral good characters.

A while back, I started watching an anime called Gun X Sword. Many people compared the protagonist to Vash from Trigun just because of some strange character quirks. Immediately, I didn't find the protagonist to be much anything like Vash. He seemed like a rather selfish individual who only helped people when it ultimately benefited him. Vash, on the other hand, is a completely selfless hero, willing to even help people who are trying to kill or capture him. Maybe the protagonist in Gun X Sword grows as a person over the series arc, but his character left me flat. Since the anime was really derivative to begin with, I never finished it. However, on the topic of anime, I love Sebastian from Black Butler, even though at the end of the day, he's a demon from hell who eats souls. But he was written as such a likable character.

I do like what TvTropes calls "Dark is Not Evil" protaganists, Batman being the prototypical example.

P.S. I do realize the irony of this post and the fact that my avatar is LeLouch/Zero from Code: Geass, who is a protagonist who does some very questionable things over the course of the series.
  5. bassinplace

bassinplace

I've always been a fan of the underdog. Harvey Pikar and Charles Bukowski come to mind. Or just about any jazz musician from the 20th century, lol.
  6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

Have you ever seen the Harvey Pekar movie? If not, I highly recommend it.
  7. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I love antiheroes. Han Solo. Travis Bickle (Taxi Driver). Heck, even Sid Vicious.
  8. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

What you call the "non-hero" is actually the original form of the anti-hero. Originally, as the classical hero was an idealized character who exemplified his (naturally, always male during that time) civilization, the classical anti-hero was a character who....didn't.

That said, I like anti-heroes like Philip Marlowe, albeit on the slightly more law-abiding side.
  9. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Have you seen Defendor? It stars Woody Harrelson as a developmentally disabled man who is obsessed with comic books and thinks he's a superhero. Harrelson's portrayal is completely compassionate and respectful; this is not some cheap comedy. It's a fun and funny story, but one that is ultimately a heartwarming meditation about what real heroism is, and the many ways it is exhibited by not just Harrelson's character, but those around him too. It's a very beautiful, very human film that never got the audience it deserved. A smart action-comedy with a lot of heart. I think you'd like it a lot.
  10. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

Captain Carrot
  11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Plain heroes are boring unless their weaknesses are explored. Spider-man indeed.
    I used to like anti-heroes and their rebel side but it's a model that's been used and abused.
    I much prefer normal people who are forced to reveal themselves under the circumstances.
  12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Either way. I don't care, as long as I can find interest in the people. The perfect example in the same genre would be Donaldson's Thomas Covenant anti hero...he is a leper with inner rage issues, he's selfish, he's a rapist...and the protagonist of the series.
  13. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Don't be ludicrous Supporting Member

I like hard ass antiheros like hardboiled detectives, The Man With No Name, or Mad Max.
  14. klyph

klyph Gold Supporting Member

Zatoichi!!!:ninja:
  15. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I'm big into anti-heroes. I like loners specifically. Unsurprisingly, i'm big into westerns. Any era but i have a bit of a predilection for the revisionists.
  16. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Yeah like those.

I also watched loads of noir
  17. foal30

foal30

Jimmy McNulty
  18. ZenG

ZenG

Vin Diesel sucks.......... (at least in "Man Apart")

I liked Eastwood in "Dirty Harry"
  19. jugglingfreak

jugglingfreak

Snake Pliskin from "Escape from New York"

Complete anti-hero.
  20. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member