1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Heve you stopped smoking?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by wraub, Feb 11, 2014.

1. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    How long did it take to stop coughing up nasty crud?

Stopped about a month ago, still bringing up stuff.

Does it ever stop?

thx

2. elgecko

elgecko

I quit cigarettes 14 months ago. I never coughed up nasty crud, even after 25 years of smoking.

3. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

I've been quit for two months (this time) and I'm still coughing. When I looked up how long it typically lasts I found people saying anywhere from a couple months to a couple years.

4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

42 days smoke free, not that I'm counting.

I was coughing up nastyness for the first 2 weeks but that passed.

I'm sleeping better, my chronic heartburn is subsiding, I don't stink like smoke, I can breathe better, taste food better, and I feel a million times better.

And I'm saving about 50 bucks a week.

But my god, I want a cigarette. I'm not gonna have one but I really, really very badly want one.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. elgecko

elgecko

:D

Right? I hear you!

7. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I've stopped several times. Never coughed up crud before, though. You might want to get that checked out by a doctor.

8. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Coughing up crud can happen. Unless there's blood or it keeps going for more than a month, maybe 2, I'd probably get that checked out. My crud was mostly phlegm of various green and yellow hues. Lovely.

9. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

I quit almost six years ago. If I remember right, I coughed up crud daily for two or three months, weekly for another six months, and monthly for another year.

10. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

I quit 4 months ago and had a weird cold/flu which got rid of a lot of the sludge. A doctor told me a good way cut down of coughing up gross stuff is to take Mucinex and vitamin C.
    As a matter of fact I owe my quitting to TB sort of.
    I was trying to quit and was having a hard time doing so. During this time was browsing the TB classifieds when I saw a '79 Ibanez Musician for sale and I really wanted it, but knew that I would regret it since it would really thin my wallet for a few months. Then I thought, "If I quit smoking I would save that much money in X amounts of weeks. Further more, I would save X amount over the course a year (cigarettes are really expensive in NYC), meaning I could get more gear if I wanted (and I have). So I made a deal with myself, quit smoking and I could buy the bass and others if they come a long, but if I have as much as a drag of one ever again I have to sell anything I have bought since I quit. I have been playing bass for 23 years and smoking for 19 years. I like playing bass more and would like to continue doing so for many more years.
    Quitting is hard, and the cravings are insane, I congratulate anyone that at least tries.

11. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Yeah, keep going, it gets better! :hyper:

I don't remember coughing up crud, but it may be different smoking a pipe vs cigs. No filter in the pipe, but I wasn't smoking like a pack a day either. I quit almost 13 years ago but made several attempts before that. Glad to be off tobacco.

12. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    Thanks to all for answers and advice.

Definitely getting better so far, less nasty and more clear. All white is all right, and all that.
    Breathing improved, senses of smell and taste improving. Don't miss a thing about the smoke.

13. Frenchy-Lefty

Frenchy-Lefty

I quit 25 yrs ago, and I can go to a party, smoke a cigarette yet I don't feel like smoking again the next day.

14. fjadams

fjadams

Xmas eve of 2002 is my quit day. Haven't had one since, haven't had the desire to have one. This after smoking for 42 years. From when I was nine until I was fifty one.

Apparently getting sick and almost getting dead is one method for quitting. Not one I'd recommend though.