Hey Brute owners!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dudemanvic, Apr 14, 2014.

1. dudemanvic

dudemanvic

How's it going everybody? I recently got my 1st Brubaker Brute 5 string. I absolutely love it, it is a wonderful instrument, but me being who I am, I'm curious about modifications to it. What I'm wondering is, have any of you put Delano pick ups in your brute? If so, what model, what preamp did you use? How was the transition? How do they sound? I'm very curious as I've seen most brute owners do Bartolini pickups in theirs and while I love Barts, I just love the sound of a bass string hitting those massive pole pieces. Anyway, feel free to chime in. If you have pics of your modifications, feel free to add them. If you have videos or sound clips to add, please do. Thanks guys and gals, and I hope everyone had a decent weekend!

-Jake
  2. a2zbassman

a2zbassman Supporting Member

I upgraded my JJX-5 to all Delano electronics, and absolutely love it! I tried the J pups with a few different preamps. The first was the Delano Sonar 2 band - very punchy and simple to get my tone. Next the Sonar 3 band (no mid switch) - I was expecting the same tone, but with more fine tuning ability. What I got was less low-mids punch. So I pulled that out and put in a Glockenklang 3 band - got the punch back but decided I liked the overall Delano "sound/coloring" better. I ended up getting the Sonar 3 band with 3-way mid select switch, and have been completely happy and satisfied with the results. Sorry, but I don't have any clips . . . someday maybe.

Anyway, did you get a MJX-5, or the discontinued JJX-5?

Come join us in the Brubaker Brute club, you'll probably get more opinions on upgrades over there.

I also love the look of the large, exposed poles of these pickups.

A pic after the full upgrade:

[​IMG]

And in it's current, super-modified, and my tribute to Kevin's awesome works of art, form:

[​IMG]
    GlassToMouth likes this.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I modded mine with dual Bartolini MM humbuckers! I have since put it back to stock and sold it though. Still have this pickguard if anybody wants to buy it :)

[​IMG]
  4. dudemanvic

dudemanvic

I like it. Looks good with those Delanos in there! I got the MJC-SC5. I just love the single cut look, and feel, but I may get a standard mjx in the near future. I can't live without my MM pickup in the bridge so I had to get it. I love how it sounds stock, but the upgrade possibilities won't leave me be!
  5. Register to disable this ad