1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Hey everyone!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JimmyM, Nov 9, 2012.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Hey folks, I haven't been able to get on here much over the past few days. Due to the rules here, I can't get into details and please don't ask about it, but we have a fight in Florida between good and evil and I have been fighting the evil pretty hard for a few days and I have a long way to go. Also, I've been in discussions for my band to set up a charitable wing where we will hold regular charity events and food/clothing/toy drives as our community dictates.

I am feeling better about what I'm doing now way more than any other point in my life. Let's face it...I turned into a big lump for the past few years ;) Most of my life has been doing not much for charity or the good of anyone but my family and I. But I gave back to my community earlier this week in a pretty significant way, and it's such a rush to do it that I'm now devoting my life to doing it on a regular basis. For those of you who don't think you have a voice in your community, let me assure you that you do! I never thought I did until Tuesday morning, and I can't tell you great it feels to do good and ask nothing in return, and it was pretty effortless. If a lump like me can do it, so can you!

It's very simple and it doesn't cost much money at all...it can be as simple as finding a kid who has potential on bass and giving him/her lessons for free. Or your band can hold charity concerts and/or food/clothing/toy drives. You can volunteer at places like the Salvation Army or local soup kitchens and food banks. If you are skilled at a trade, you can volunteer to teach underprivileged kids your trade so they can make something of themselves. Take an acoustic guitar and sing to folks in your local old folks homes for an hour (leave out the death metal songs, though). Or even if you see a kid who's in distress and hungry, fix him or her a nice healthy meal or sandwich and let them know you care.

But don't worry...I haven't lost the ability to straighten you punks out when you need it! I will, however, be available less than usual, though I will still come on here semi-regularly. Sorry about that, but it's all for the best. For once in my wretched and miserable life, I'm devoting my life to giving back as much as I can.

Much love to my peeps at TB, and may you all find a purpose in life that means as much to you as my new purpose does to me. Try it...you'll like it!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Glad you all care so much :p

3. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Best of luck on your new path. Sounds like you have found some drive and inner peace at the same time. It's a good feeling. Swing by when you can and keep us posted.

4. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

I do have to say, as a band that's played a number of charity gigs (a few for friends of friends who have passed suddenly, one for the ALS foundation, few more) there really is a pretty satisfying feeling when you can say that you've raised a couple thousand dollars for a good cause in one night.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

That darn Jesus guy is right again.

-Mike

7. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Take a guitar and sing to folks?

I'm a bass player! I can't sing for $%#@! I can only stand in the corner and be ugly.

Seriously, GL on your new path. Helping people and being of service is truly a great way to find inner happiness. It helps you lead a life of obligation instead of entitlement.

8. bassteban

bassteban

May I PM you, re *good & evil*? I am genuinely curious about this- beyond that, right on.

9. turbo chicken

turbo chicken

Jimmmaaayyyyy!

Good story bro! :p

I volunteer to read stories at the library ... it's cool!

10. hover

hover

Jimmy, I have been following your cause from your Facebook posts, and admit it has caused me to invest time into looking into the issues you are at odds with, I need to be informed before coming to a conclusion, but admire greatly your drive on this issue.

I wish you nothing but the best in this endeavor.

11. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

Good to hear from you Jimmy, I wish you well.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

What is the good vs. evil? I don't use Facebook, so I don't know how to check his page.

-Mike

13. hover

hover

Mike, unfortunately this would dive head-first into strong political discussion, so I'd have to refrain from comment.

14. Unprofessional

Unprofessional Supporting Member

JimmyM,

In whatever context it's in, helping people who deserve it has to be a good thing. Rock on.

15. bassinplace

bassinplace

16. Handyman

Handyman

He's working against the evil of solid state amplifiers. :D

17. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

18. capnsandwich

capnsandwich

I've been reading your posts on FB about the whole Good vs. Evil thing. Seems like a big mess.

19. giacomini

giacomini Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    I know how you feel. I do feel great when I help people out.

Charity is something that should be natural to everyone, not something that is regarded as a great gift someone has because it is sooooo hard to do. Nope, it is easy, like you said.

Give and ask nothing in return!

20. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Way to go, Jimmy! Volunteering rocks, and it's good for ya.

21. VitalSigns

VitalSigns

They're still counting votes in Florida?

:D