1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Hey guys, is this a good idea?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brandon311, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Brandon311

Brandon311

Hey, so ive been hearing a lot about these sadowsky basses and how good they are. I even tried a friend's and loved it. Ive had some money saved up, about 2500 dollars, and really want to get one. So my original plan was to upgrade my squier and buy a fender jazz bass and have 1000ish left over for an amp, or i can follow my dreams and get the sadowsky 4 string standard and save up later for an amp. As of right now i have a fender starcaster 15g lol. So, which do u guys think i should do. Btw, if ur wondering why i have a guitar amp, i used to play guitar:)
  2. 4dog

4dog

Id buy an ibanez sr500 or better and still buy a bass amp
  3. beggar98

beggar98

Depends on your goals in the long and short term. A Sadowsky is a great bass, and could very likely be your bass for life, so buying one is probably not a decision you will regret. That said, you will not be able to fully appreciate or take advantage of the tone of a Sadowsky if you're running it through a cheap amp.

If you need to have a good bass/amp combo sooner rather than later, you should probably stick with your first plan. If you don't have any gigs or potential for gigs in the near future, investing in a great bass and waiting to get a solid amp for a year or so is probably fine.
  4. smogg

smogg

Nice amp and cab, then think about upgrading your bass. IMO, it seems like the general consensus is OK bass into decent amp into good cab = good tone vs the other way around. I am also an advocate of quality headphones for personal practice. But that's just me. As always YMMV on something like that.
  5. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Whatever you do, don't buy a New anything. If you shop with just a bit of patience, you can get a used Sadowsky Metro AND a decent amp with $2500.

And, by having patience and buying something used that is a good deal for whatever it is, you'll know that, if you decide later you want to sell it and get something different, you can get all or at least most of your money back.

I paid less than $2000 for my Sadowsky Metro UV70-5-MB. When I sold it, I actually pocketed about $100 on the sale. If I had paid $3000 for a new Metro and then sold it for $2000, I would have been crying hard!
  6. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

+1. You can get a great bass and rig for that dosh. If you do get a high end bass with the vast majority of your budget, you'll be stuck with a rig that holds you back, won't show the basses true potential, and will suck untill you get a decent rig.

If it were my dosh, even if I wasn't planning on playing out for a good while, I'd spend less than half on the bass, and the majority on a good head and cab - or a powerful combo that can add an extension cab if you need to get louder later on. Your budget should give you a world of options - new and used, off the shelf and custom.

A good Jazz type bass will do you well till you can afford a sadowsky and a rockin' rig. :bassist:
  7. Brandon311

Brandon311

Thanks so much for your input guys. I think ill go with the metro sadowsky and get a rockin amp around june or july since i dont plan on giggin anytime soon. Also, i think the feel of the bass is more important than the sound ONLY when no one else is really listening. So, whatcha guys think bout a sadowski metro? I just cant decide red or black lol. Leaning for the black though:)
  8. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

IMO, you need a good amp in order to take advantage of a good bass. No bass sounds good through a cheap amp. I'd get the amp first.
  9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Amp.

A killer bass through a crappy amp doesn't sound all that great. A crappy bass through a killer amp can sound pretty good.
  10. Green1

Green1 Supporting Member

My philosophy has always been buy the very best bass that you can afford first and foremost and then get a good amp. Most guys (including me) buy a lot of cheap instruments in the beginning and waste alot of money before getting a good bass......the money you DON'T waste can then be used for the amp and in the long run you will have spent less. A Sadowsky Metro is a Great choice in my opinion.....good luck
  11. bodoger

bodoger

My backup bass is a Ibanez Gio short scale lp style and it sounds as good as a MIM pbass
    through my Carvin bx600 and Fender 410 cab.
  12. emart

emart Supporting Member

This. :)

13. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Sadowsky makes great basses but I would buy an MIA Fender and a new amp. The jump from Squier will be amazing.
  14. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Amp. Buy something good and brand new w/warranty, don't skimp. Used amps are a dicey adventure. Used guitars, certainly, but not amps unless you like to gamble. Upgrade your bass later.

Spend some time reading in the Amps Forum. There is mucho knowledge there. Arm yourself with it before you buy.
  15. Federighi

Federighi

+1 on used gear!
  16. tsunami1052

tsunami1052 What the Funk? Supporting Member

If I was in your position, I would look at a Lakland Skyline 44-60 or DJ-4 for 1200 and put the other 1200 toward an amp and cabinet. But I am not - so do what you think is best.:bassist:
  17. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

IMO, get the bass you want and get your chops up. If you're excited about the bass, you'll play it more. If you get a gig before you're able to purchase a gig-worthy amp, you can always borrow or rent. For the time being, you can buy a used practice amp better than the Starcaster for not much cash, then probably break even selling it later on.

That said, I doubt you'd be unhappy with a US Jazz.

Good luck!
  18. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

For me, and for a lot of people, I think, buying a bass is a lot more fun than buying an amp and/or cab. The thing is, if I had a Sadowsky and nothing to play it through but a cheap amp, I wouldn't be able to enjoy the Sadowsky at all. I doubt it would sound much better than a Squier until you put it through a real amp. Just my dos centavos, because I was there once upon a time. :)
  19. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

^ this guy knows what's up
  20. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:
    Sadowskys rule. You'll love it. I would take my time and find a pre owned, though. They can be found in the classified here and on eBay. Then you'll have plenty for a solid amp

Rob