HEY Jimmy M!! and other Ampeg Guys

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Snakeman1066, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

[​IMG]

any experience with this cab?

I have the opportunity to snag one from a guy who is really in dire need for cash for a mere $325.00

though about snagging it and leaving it at our rehearsal studio!!

thoughts?
  2. oboylebass

oboylebass

Big, heavy and AWESOME. Weren't these like a over a grand when they were new? I'd snatch it up.
  3. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    its a 410HLF, some guys love them, most guys seem to hate them
  4. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

hence the inquiry?
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Only used it once, and it goes too low for my tastes, but it doesn't seem to be quite as low low as the SLM SVT 410hlf's...more like the current SVT 410hlf's. Heavy bitch, though!
  6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

Those HLF cabs are tricky. Tons and tons and tons.... And a few more tons of bottom end. I've always found them to be boomy and muddy, while still being capable of achieving a lot of volume. Not balanced at all, but to be fair, it's one of those cabs where if it works for you, it will REALLY work. The opposite is also true, but at that low of a price, it might be worth the gamble. Not sure what they're going for new, but I'll wager it's more than that.
  7. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

yep, yep, yep, and absolutely. IMHO $325 is a great price, I'd buy it too...
  8. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

well the consensus so far is it is NOT a good cab for Metal..lol

but apparently Dub and Reggae guys seem to love them...lol
  9. oboylebass

oboylebass

I should add that I played through one of these on a very, very large stage at an outdoor gig in summer '12, part of a backline. Sounded pretty good to me...plenty loud enough, you could hear the bass no problem. Can't remember what head it was though. Either a Kustom or a Fender-era Sunn, rackmount style.
  10. 20db pad

20db pad

I used one as backline a number of years ago. As mentioned earlier, much more low end than you expect from a 4x10 for sure. If I had an opportunity to buy one for 3 bills and keep it in one place I'd probably go for it though.
  11. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    Probably not, especially if your tuned low. Look for a sealed 410. Ampeh 410HE, Hartke Hydrive.
  12. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

That is the discontinued B series I believe. Even heavier than the classic hlf. It can work for any type of music, but you may be cranking the mids and cutting lows if you want it to sound flat.
  13. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

we tune down to DGCF usually...sometimes C#F# B E
  14. Immigrant

Immigrant

That's a PR 410HLF*, a slightly different animal than the SVT410HLF. You can throw the PR down a staircase and it'll be fine. I believe it may be voiced a little more middy than the SVT version.

The prices good, if it's in good shape. I see them all the time on CL for under $400.

*not to be confused with the PF series
  15. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

That's right, pr, not b. I must have been thinking of the bre series amps. Those things can take something like 1000 watts if I remember correctly.
  16. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Grab it for that price. They were expensive new, I remember. Should be able to drive it hard with some real power. Probably handles adding distortion effects better than some other cabs as well.
  17. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Agreed - for a 410, it's big and heavy - but it'll take alot of power, put out alot of low end, and get loud... IMO, a great cab to park at a rehearsal space, and leave there...

- georgestrings
  18. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

I had the classic hlf years ago. To me it was way to boomy/muddy. And 810's are easier to schlep around than this thing, unless you're 4 feet tall.
  19. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

They kick ***, I've used plenty in the studio and as part of backlines. Low end for dayzzz. As for it being muddy, it's true, but I like it because it's a "good muddy". Almost growly at the low end. Some like it, some don't for that reason.
  20. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

But I'm going to have to agree with Luckydog, they use the same "towel rack" and tilt back cab design they have on the 8x10's on the newer 410hlf, and it sucks. However, I'm not sure that it actually is an "hlf" model in the picture