1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Hey Non-Music Majors

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Casting Thunder, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

I was just wondering how much time ya'll are able to devote to practicing? I seem to get in 10-15 minutes a night, but with finals coming up I'm rather worried I won't be able to get that in.
  2. RxFunk

RxFunk

I usually get 30min to an hour in l, but I have a fair amount of free time.
  3. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I've stopped practicing about a decade ago (i think i did daily practices for the first seven years or so, in the first year i put in 3 hours a day if you can believe it...i know i cant. I didnt have a busy life then. Then i cut down to two for about two years. Then 1 for the last few couple of years...) Though recently because i've been writing and recording for about 3 months months and doing it daily, i do i suppose still get about 30+ mins worth of bass playing a day. Not sure if it counts as practice though. I have to say a few years ago music was not a priority in my life so much anymore (and yes it did make me more miserable..it stopped being a priority because i was depressed in the first place and it only made it worse that i nearly stopped music) and at some point i probably didnt pick up my bass more than once a week if even that much and only for a few minutes. That phase lasted about 3 years. Time wasted.
  4. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

I practice when I can, as much as I can, and until I'm satisfied with what I'm trying to play. Or until I get cramps and have to stop.
  5. spanndrew

spanndrew

With finals coming up I can get about 20 minutes a night.
  6. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

When I was in college, I noticed that my practice time went up whenever I was putting something else off. Now, I'm lucky to get to band practice with my head screwed on, let alone do much practicing. I try to pick up a guitar or bass and work on something every day, but it doesn't always happen.
  7. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

When I was a full-time student, I had more time to practice because I was working much less. Now I barely qualify as a student (1 class per term now, but it's an intense course) but I work full time. I only get in weekend practicing because I'm too exhausted from work to focus on anything but food, a cigar and sleeping.

Guitar gets the priority anymore, though. So no bass practice at all recently... :/ Havent seen my schecter in at least 7 months...
  8. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

You have time for what you want to have time for. Turn off the TV, your computer, iPhone, iPad, iPod, iEverything, close your door and practice.