1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Hey Photo Guys: How Do I Get An X-ray effect?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BillyIVbass, Nov 26, 2012.

1. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Disclosures:
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    What I'm looking to do is a take a photo of my guitar in a case, with the lid up and edit the picture so it looks like it's an X-ray of the guitar case.

Ummm every time I search "x-ray effect photo editing" I get weird perverted tutorials on how to see through clothes.

Any info would me much appreciated. Thanks!
  2. dave64o

dave64o Gold Supporting Member

I've messed around with cloning in Photoshop and did that for our Christmas card photo of my son a few years ago. I did a quick search and found a short tutorial on the process here. The key is knowing how to use layers to overlay the individual pictures and keeping the camera in the same spot/position. To do what you're thinking, you'd probably also have to feather the edges of the pictures you're using so the transition from the exterior of case to the "x-ray" of the interior blends together rather than being a sharp line.

FWIW, here's the picture I did for that Christmas photo. I was surprised by how easy it was to do.
    [​IMG]
  3. giacomini

giacomini Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    Just tried that cloning process, it works fine and it is super easy! :D
  4. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

What does cloning have to do with the OP's question on X-ray effects? :confused:
  5. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

Btw, if you have Photoshop, here's a clear tutorial...

6. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Oh man, I'm going to be messing with Photoshop over the next few days due to this thread... it gave me some ideas! (#productionkiller) :eek: :D

PS Nice work, Dave!
  7. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

So, something like this? (Apologies to whoever is selling this here on TB -- it was the first thread I came across with the right pics.)
    [​IMG]

Here's what I did:
    1) Take pic of case with the lid shut
    2) Take pic of case with the lid open and instrument inside
    *NOTE* Like Dave said, make sure the camera is in the exact same spot (a tripod is a good idea), otherwise you have to mess with the perspective (like I did)
    3) Open both pics in a photo editor (Photoshop is what I used)
    4) Using the lasso tool or similar, trace the outline of the bass to select it
    5) Copy / paste that as a separate layer in the pic of the case shut
    6) Duplicate the lid shut layer and place it above the layer of the bass in the case
    7) Reselect the bass-in-case layer so that it outlines the bass
    8) Switch to the case shut layer (top layer), contract the selection and feather it (I used contraction: 35 pixels and feather: 12 pixels; it really depends on the size of the pic)
    9) Clear the pixels from the case shut layer
    Voila! :D
  8. dave64o

dave64o Gold Supporting Member

Monet did a great job answering your question! ;)
  9. tZer

tZer

Just like MonetBass did - and you can play with inverting the colors to get a more 'x-ray' like effect.

Attached Files: